Skip to main content

Really Late April Kenny Clinic Report

So April and May flew by in a flash, and I forgot to summarize my clinic in April with Kenny.

It was a beautiful weekend for the clinic, so I had the opportunity to ride in Robin's beautiful outdoor arena. I also decided it was time to ride in the double bridle in front of a trainer and get feed back. The ride was great. I was rushing Gadget too much, instead of getting cadence in the trot. We worked on the trot halfpass and, oddly enough, the right one is now his better one. We worked on a few steps of half pass, then medium trot forward, then keep the forward and half pass again. I need more vroom in my half pass and shoulder in. 

In the shoulder in, I need to do less with the inside rein, particularly to the left. Get him listening to the inside leg and get the bend there, not with the inside rein. I know this stuff, and I don't know why I continue to do it!

Canter work felt really good. It actually felt so much better than it looked on the video, but I'm okay with that. We cantered on a circle and moved his shoulders in and then his haunches in, really keeping the rhythm. We also changed the flexion while doing this. I need to do lots of this eventually to get him stronger. We then tried quarter pirouettes on a diamond pattern. This was very tough, but we actually got a few where Gadget stepped around correctly. I think, with time, the half pirouettes for Fourth Level will actually develop.

We ended the first day with playing with halfsteps. The key was to teach Gadget to take little steps in the walk. We would halt, ask for tiny steps, then halt and reward. We then went into trot and tried to make it small and animated. It was very fun. In the following days, I think Gadget got confused and didn't want to take big steps in the walk. He got very balky, so we are putting the half steps away until I work with a trainer again. 

The second day, we worked on half passes again. He felt a little stuck, so they weren't quite as good. The canter halfpasses were okay. I have to keep a true canter rhythm as priority number one. Then get him moving over, etc. 

We moved to the changes and really making Gadget changes when I asked. If I didn't get the change, Kenny wanted me to tap with the whip right away. Gadget got very opinionated and started hopping around with his hind end. We then moved to trying the 3 changes on the diagonal. We can get them, but they aren't pretty. Gadget basically ran the show and threw his haunches every where. I was frustrated after the second ride that our changes are still so "hoppy." Kenny has said the actual quality of the changes have improved, I not need to train his reaction. 

I went to this clinic solo without Hani and had a really nice time hanging out with the other ladies. Everyone is so nice and encouraging that it is just the perfect atmosphere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

New Near, New Goals - 2019!

NEW YEAR, NEW GOALS! I usually love reviewing my goals, progress and dreaming up new goals for the coming year, but this year was a tough one with the loss of my dear Gadget. I read a great set of articles on the Chronicle of the Horse by Matt Brown about how to shift your thinking about goal-setting. He makes the argument against fixed, outcome goals and to instead set more of "growth mindset," process-oriented goals.  And here's a link to the first article:  http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/a-case-for-not-focusing-on-your-goals-part-1  They are totally worth reading. I think dressage requires a strong focus on the "process" and I've always enjoyed thinking about the little things that build to success. However, I will totally admit to being outcome goal driven. I love setting specific score goals and even the goal of mastering a movement. Just as Gadget taught me lots of humility and patience, Iggy is going to drive those lessons home in a who

August 2019 update!

I have really put this poor little blog on the back burner this year, but there's actually been lots of great things happening! Iggy and I have made huge leaps forward this year in terms of balance for both of us. I am finding ways to stay softer in my hands and more supportive of his straightness that has really helped. Iggy has really gained so much strength in his canter and feels like a totally different horse. We still get changes behind, but it's no longer the defining point of the ride. We switch back and carry-on just fine. Iggy has attended 3 horseshows, and he has been wonderful. He has gotten progressively braver at each show in the warm-up, and I think he actually understands the drill now. He gets a bit excited and "takes over" a bit, but it's a great feeling to have a horse that wants to go! Although I am most thrilled about the huge boost in his confidence, his performance has been great too. He has won all of his classes, with only one score o