Skip to main content

May Morven Park Show Report

After Gadget popped a gravel abscess and broke out in hives the week before the show, I was nearly dreading the show. I also was having hard time even getting Gadget on the bit in most movement, so not feeling very optimistic. On the Wednesday before the show, I put on my smooth rowel spurs and snaffle bridle and rode in the indoor. Anytime I schooled turns on the haunches, Gadget got very bulky. I think this was partly because he would knock the abscess wound and partly because I ride with too much leg and hand in that movement. I still completely suck at the TOHs.  Anyway, to get him out of his bulky phase, I rode a couple medium/extended trots remembering Kenny's words to wrap my legs around him and hold him a bit in the bridle, then let him go. This wrapping my calves around the horse into a stead rein really picks Gadget up. I can feel him grow a little taller in his front end.

I decided to just ride with this idea for the rest of the ride. I tried to not touch him with the spur, but really close my calf and then keep the snaffle rein steady or half halt and then back to steady. I finally had a great ride! And a game plan for the show!

I gave Gadget Thursday off and we trailered to VA on Friday. We lucked out at the weather was lovely. I stabled with buddies, which was great. Julie and Robin were cool cucumbers and very positive to be around. I was thrilled with Gadget's warm up on Friday. I put him back in the double and went into the warm up ring with my mantra to hug with my calves. Gadget was light, responsive, and happy! Yay! I only rode about 30 minutes, just enough to touch most movements once.

On Saturday I rode in front of Judge Riehl Rodriguez. My first test, third level test 1, rode well, but Gadget was feeling a bit fresh. I rode with my smooth rowel spurs, and he threatened a mini rear in the turn on the haunches. I think he basically told the judge, "She's kicking and pulling at the same time!" The canter was so energetic, and he actually was anticipating the changes. The left change was lovely (which is usually our late change), and the right change was late in front (mostly because I was trying my hardest to keep him from changing before the centerline. Because I was too much in his face, he was slow up front. No biggie. I also went off course in the canter work, even though I've ridden this test a gazillion times. Anyway, even with all of those mistakes, I left the ring feeling pretty good about it! We scored a 62.8% and got 2nd place. I was thrilled. Most notable deductions were for haunches leading in trot half passes and haunches to inside on canter extensions, among many other things.

For third three, I switched to my rounded spurs and Gadget was much happier. He still had spark, but not so much attitude. I was able to fix a couple of the things mentioned in previous test comments and really tried to ride boldly. For our first time riding that test, it felt pretty good. I was absolutely shocked to get a 64%! My weekend was made. The judge said it was a "very solid test." Awesome!

We rode for former Olympic judge Axel Steiner the next day. In 3-1, we earned a 59% and actually won the class, including a silver plate! (I have always and forever wanted to win a silver plate!) In the comments, he said it was a steady test and we were a nice pair. He also said we need more everything -- collection, engagement, etc. But I already knew that, and we are working on it. The last class was 3-3 in front of Axel Steiner, and we got a 55% and last place. We were the only amateurs in the class and my horse was officially beat. Overall, I was so proud of the progress we made over the last year. I could FEEL the difference riding these tests that I could actually ask for more and get it. Even better, I know that there are places that can still be improved. We are not at max capacity yet, and I'm so excited to see where we will go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

New Near, New Goals - 2019!

NEW YEAR, NEW GOALS! I usually love reviewing my goals, progress and dreaming up new goals for the coming year, but this year was a tough one with the loss of my dear Gadget. I read a great set of articles on the Chronicle of the Horse by Matt Brown about how to shift your thinking about goal-setting. He makes the argument against fixed, outcome goals and to instead set more of "growth mindset," process-oriented goals.  And here's a link to the first article:  http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/a-case-for-not-focusing-on-your-goals-part-1  They are totally worth reading. I think dressage requires a strong focus on the "process" and I've always enjoyed thinking about the little things that build to success. However, I will totally admit to being outcome goal driven. I love setting specific score goals and even the goal of mastering a movement. Just as Gadget taught me lots of humility and patience, Iggy is going to drive those lessons home in a who

August 2019 update!

I have really put this poor little blog on the back burner this year, but there's actually been lots of great things happening! Iggy and I have made huge leaps forward this year in terms of balance for both of us. I am finding ways to stay softer in my hands and more supportive of his straightness that has really helped. Iggy has really gained so much strength in his canter and feels like a totally different horse. We still get changes behind, but it's no longer the defining point of the ride. We switch back and carry-on just fine. Iggy has attended 3 horseshows, and he has been wonderful. He has gotten progressively braver at each show in the warm-up, and I think he actually understands the drill now. He gets a bit excited and "takes over" a bit, but it's a great feeling to have a horse that wants to go! Although I am most thrilled about the huge boost in his confidence, his performance has been great too. He has won all of his classes, with only one score o