Skip to main content

Even the Best Laid Plans . . .

In other news, the great Gadget has pneumonia. After several days off, I rode him on a Saturday night and had a crappy ride. The next day, Sunday, during the warm-up, he began coughing and actually coughed up yellow phlegm. On Monday, I took him to the vet clinic and he was coughing as soon as he stepped off of the trailer. Otherwise, he was perky and acting fine. They listened to his lungs, took blood, performed a trach wash, sent away a sample, and sent scope down so we could see inside his lungs. The lungs were just completely full of yellow gunk. The vet said he was much sicker than he first appeared.

We went home with a bundle of meds, including antibiotic shots to be given twice daily. The vet actually wanted to keep Gadget in the clinic to administer IV antibiotics for a week, but I told him that as sensitive as he is, I wanted to take care of him. I felt confident he would let me give him his meds and, sure enough, he has been a saint. He is on complete stall rest so I hand graze him for an hour before work and an hour after work. Given the barn is a half hour from home, this is making for some long days, but Gadget seems to be doing well on this schedule.

We are 9 days out from diagnosis and we finished our Nexcel and will be starting a new antibiotic, Exceed, today and then go back on Saturday for a second scope. I'm definitely praying for good news. Although even if things look better, from my research, it appears that he needs some serious down time. Many folks recommend 3-6 months of down time to allow a horse to fully recover from pneumonia. Selfishly, I am really hating the thought of being out of the saddle all summer. We were just beginning to make some progress, so it's particularly frustrating to be sidelined now in the prettiest part of summer.

Obviously, my number one goal is to bring Gadget through this to a full recovery. But I think I am allowed to be a little sad in the meantime too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

2014 - New Year, New Goals

This past year was a great year for me and Gadget. Although we had our ups and downs, I've learned a lot this year. We made our third level debut, earned our bronze medal in only two shows, improved the flying changes dramatically, and earned Champion for Adult Amateurs at third level in my GMO.  For 2014, I have several goals: Keep Gadget's back feeling good. I think I have found a good combo of chiro, shoeing, saddle fit, and vet maintenance to prevent him from getting sore rather than waiting until he's in pain. Hopefully it works this year. Continue improving Third Leve l. Last year was a great intro to third level, but I am finally learning to ride Gadget more uphill, which is improving everything. This year I want to try 3-2 and 3-3. The canter-halfpass is still tough for us, but it's looking better. I am going to work to fix things that are easy points -- halts, turn on the haunches, transitions, and good centerlines. I am going to focus on the quality o...

Michael Bragdell Clinic

So I have been having an amazing summer of lessons with Ryan Yap. He really helped me feel how to collect and energize the canter, which has been the biggest challenge. He also made huge improvements in my halfpasses and helped develop more suspension in Gadget's trot. Writing these things make it sound easy, but it has taken years to get to a point where Ryan could work on these things with us. As he said, we were finally ready. So when Ryan's clinic date changed to one that conflicted with the Michael Bragdell clinic, I was so disappointed. It would have been awesome to have back-to-back weekends of clinics with those two. But I will have to wait until the spring to work with Ryan again.  As for the Michael Bragdell clinic, it was really quite amazing. I typically don't have the highest hopes for lessons when someone is seeing me and Gadget for the first time. We have lots of little issues going on and it sometimes takes a little time figure out the right way to a...