Skip to main content

Catch-up Post -- Putting Together the Puzzle

It's been a long time since I have actually written any updates about Iggy. Partly, that is because it is difficult to write about things when you are still very much in the experimental stage. I think I have loved dressage since I was a teenager because of the constant experimenting, strategizing, and problem solving of every ride. I love the intellectual side of it. However, puzzles are more fun when you are making progress toward solving them. They are less fun when you spend a lot of time wondering if you have made progress, stayed the same, or actually screwed things up.

From Iggy's first show - trying to keep the big canter in one piece!

Iggy is my puzzle. He is a puzzle that makes my eyes light up and my heart sing when I see him. He has this sweet baby face and the personality of a labradoodle. When I look at him, he is everything I ever wanted. Yet, our journey has not been quite as straight forward as I thought it might be. When I sat on Iggy for the first time and I couldn't contain the smile from the first stride of his rolling canter, I could just see all of the fun that I could have with him. I thought of how much Gadget had struggled in the canter, and I imagined what fun it would be to train a horse with a built-in magical canter.

And, make no mistake, Iggy's canter is still the substance of my dreams. It's big and uphill and so powerful. BUT, baby Iggy has not yet mastered the balance and strength part of holding all of this magic together, so he changes leads behind whenever his balance is challenged in the canter. And herein lies the detour in my anticipated journey. I really thought I'd be horseshowing with Iggy and maybe making a big mess of things due to having a big young horse, but I did not expect that we would still be working to maintain one lead.


Admittedly, it has taken some time to adjust my expectations and plan the new route of our journey. I think my destination of eventual FEI is still firmly in place. However, rather than just systematically schooling, I have been majorly brainstorming for ways to 1) build buns of steel for Iggy and 2) use everything I have learned on Gadget to help Iggy find the balance in the canter.

Spoiler alert -- we still have not found it. I have some amazing rides that make me think we've got it. Then I promptly get 20 changes the next day. I have stopped seeing the changes as a problem, but just as a mistake like any other. I correct to the proper lead and continue on with the canter work.

Because he can feel so wonderful and like such a hot mess in the span of two seconds in the canter, it's a bit unnerving. And because his canter troubles are worse when he is tense and his back is tight, I have real and palpable worries about competing. But, I think I've decided we are going to go to some shows next year regardless of what the canter looks like. I love to show and Iggy needs the experience, so we'll be setting goals of positive outings and lots of smiles instead of ribbons and scores.

As with any puzzle, we'll take it one piece at a time and enjoy the company and the challenge along the way. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

2014 - New Year, New Goals

This past year was a great year for me and Gadget. Although we had our ups and downs, I've learned a lot this year. We made our third level debut, earned our bronze medal in only two shows, improved the flying changes dramatically, and earned Champion for Adult Amateurs at third level in my GMO.  For 2014, I have several goals: Keep Gadget's back feeling good. I think I have found a good combo of chiro, shoeing, saddle fit, and vet maintenance to prevent him from getting sore rather than waiting until he's in pain. Hopefully it works this year. Continue improving Third Leve l. Last year was a great intro to third level, but I am finally learning to ride Gadget more uphill, which is improving everything. This year I want to try 3-2 and 3-3. The canter-halfpass is still tough for us, but it's looking better. I am going to work to fix things that are easy points -- halts, turn on the haunches, transitions, and good centerlines. I am going to focus on the quality o...

Michael Bragdell Clinic

So I have been having an amazing summer of lessons with Ryan Yap. He really helped me feel how to collect and energize the canter, which has been the biggest challenge. He also made huge improvements in my halfpasses and helped develop more suspension in Gadget's trot. Writing these things make it sound easy, but it has taken years to get to a point where Ryan could work on these things with us. As he said, we were finally ready. So when Ryan's clinic date changed to one that conflicted with the Michael Bragdell clinic, I was so disappointed. It would have been awesome to have back-to-back weekends of clinics with those two. But I will have to wait until the spring to work with Ryan again.  As for the Michael Bragdell clinic, it was really quite amazing. I typically don't have the highest hopes for lessons when someone is seeing me and Gadget for the first time. We have lots of little issues going on and it sometimes takes a little time figure out the right way to a...