Skip to main content

Review of 2014 Goals and Setting 2015 Goals


Last year, I set the goals below for 2014. In looking them over, I actually am quite satisfied with our success in meeting these goals.
  1. Keep Gadget's back feeling good. I think I have found a good combo of chiro, shoeing, saddle fit, and vet maintenance to prevent him from getting sore rather than waiting until he's in pain. Hopefully it works this year. Well, it's officially the end of December, and his back has felt good all year! I honestly think keeping a lighter, more active contact is a big part of the equation. I'm so glad to have made this change in my riding!
  2. Continue improving Third Level. Last year was a great intro to third level, but I am finally learning to ride Gadget more uphill, which is improving everything. This year I want to try 3-2 and 3-3. The canter-halfpass is still tough for us, but it's looking better. I am going to work to fix things that are easy points -- halts, turn on the haunches, transitions, and good centerlines. I am going to focus on the quality of my rides and not beat myself over scores. The collected canter is getting better, but Gadget can only improve if I learn to stay out of his way and help him stay balanced. Although we only got to show once at third, we have definitely made progress at third level. We earned a score of 64% at 3-3, and all of the moments are feeling so much easier!
  3. Become more skilled at using the double bridle. Gadget has always been fussy in the bridle, but I am learning to keep my aids quieter to keep his mouth quieter. I want to be able to keep him happy in the double bridle as well. (And maybe buy him a pretty new double bridle!) Well, I bought Gadget a beautiful patent double bridle and a blingy bridle. Now that I am figuring out to be more playful and giving in the contact, he goes so nicely in the double We have major improvement in this area. I also owe Kristin Stein an enormous debt for solidifying his confidence in the double bridle.
  4. Work on improving my position. I need to sit more balanced (stop leaning off to the left). I also need to keep my leg forward at the girth. The right leg needs more bend and to stay back and under. This is very much a work in progress. I feel that my contact is improving but recent pictures showed that I must work to keep long legs, eyes up, and sitting with a more open chest. This will stay on the list of goals for 2015.
  5. Dream of Fourth Level. When I bought Gadget, I wanted to get him to second level. Then I thought I might sell him. I actually thought of selling him every month of the first three years I owned him. I had no idea what I was doing with a young warmblood and I made a mess of teaching him about contact, forward, and dressage in general. After finding my trainers Ryan, Kristin, and eventually Kenny, I have learned so much and we have improved by leaps and bounds. This is not to say we are anything special, but we are so much better than we used to be! Although Fourth Level may not be a realistic goal, I'm going to just let myself to dream of fourth level and play with pieces of it in our good rides. Dream big. Well, I've been dreaming of 4th level all year. We definitely weren't ready to show 4th, but we are getting there. I now secretly, deep down think that we may just make it to PSG one day. 
A picture from Gadget's outing at 3rd level in 2014 at Morven Park.

As usual I'm struggling with my goals for next year. This is probably because I'm not quite ready for the level at which I really want to compete. It feels like I should done with third level at this point, but we may compete at third level again with a goal of debuting at 4th sometime this season, even if it's only 4-1. With that long preface, below are my goals:

GOALS FOR 2015
  1. Learn how to set up and ride the working canter pirouette. We are now reliably getting the smaller pirouette canter, but I still don't have a feel for this movement. I need more instruction so that I can feel more confident schooling it at home. 
  2. Get consistent 3 tempis. These oddly feel easier than the 4 tempis. However, it still takes me several attempts before I get in the rhythm of the aids and it sure doesn't feel easy yet. I hope these become more flowing this year.
  3. Get consistent 4 tempis.  These are quite hard for me. There isn't much room to school these inside, and there is just so much time to lose the balance and collection between the changes. I usually get a 3 somewhere in our line.
  4. Get flowing trot and canter halfpasses. I feel like I know how to ride these movements better now. I am blocking less and getting the correct bend and balance. Now we just need more time and practice. I hope these will continue to improve this year. The trot halfpasses have potential to earn good scores.
  5. Improve the walk pirouettes. Finally I am beginning to understand this movement. I want to get someone other than 4s and 5s for our TOHs! 
  6. Continue to improve my position. I need to work on staying more up and open in my upper body, soft in my left hand, and long in the leg with low heels. This may be a goal that remains from year to year, but I'll keep working on it.
  7. Obtain scores consistently 60%+ at third level. This goal feels like a stretch, because we always seem to have some scores in the 50s. One day I will learn to really ride each movement and not forgot our tests! Maybe this will be the year!
  8. Get out at 4th level.  This is certainly the biggest goal. Kenny basically stated that I should really come back out at third level this year now that I am riding these movements much better. Ever the competitive one, I can't help but want to move up. We'll see. I'm still keeping it on the list. 

Most of all, I want a healthy and happy horse for 2015. I hope that I have lots of happy and enjoyable rides with Gadget, even if we fail in all of our goals. And I hope the same for all of my friends. I have a feeling 2015 will be a good year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

New Near, New Goals - 2019!

NEW YEAR, NEW GOALS! I usually love reviewing my goals, progress and dreaming up new goals for the coming year, but this year was a tough one with the loss of my dear Gadget. I read a great set of articles on the Chronicle of the Horse by Matt Brown about how to shift your thinking about goal-setting. He makes the argument against fixed, outcome goals and to instead set more of "growth mindset," process-oriented goals.  And here's a link to the first article:  http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/a-case-for-not-focusing-on-your-goals-part-1  They are totally worth reading. I think dressage requires a strong focus on the "process" and I've always enjoyed thinking about the little things that build to success. However, I will totally admit to being outcome goal driven. I love setting specific score goals and even the goal of mastering a movement. Just as Gadget taught me lots of humility and patience, Iggy is going to drive those lessons home in a who

August 2019 update!

I have really put this poor little blog on the back burner this year, but there's actually been lots of great things happening! Iggy and I have made huge leaps forward this year in terms of balance for both of us. I am finding ways to stay softer in my hands and more supportive of his straightness that has really helped. Iggy has really gained so much strength in his canter and feels like a totally different horse. We still get changes behind, but it's no longer the defining point of the ride. We switch back and carry-on just fine. Iggy has attended 3 horseshows, and he has been wonderful. He has gotten progressively braver at each show in the warm-up, and I think he actually understands the drill now. He gets a bit excited and "takes over" a bit, but it's a great feeling to have a horse that wants to go! Although I am most thrilled about the huge boost in his confidence, his performance has been great too. He has won all of his classes, with only one score o