Skip to main content

Lessons with Kristin and Kenny

It has been so long since I have updated that it is hard to know where to begin. Before leaving for trial in October, I was really struggling with my rides. I finally had one good ride before taking Gadget to Kristin's where I was finally able to start to feel the rhythm for the 4's.

After the trial, I took 3 lessons from Kristin on Gadget before bringing him home. He felt so amazing - so active, light, and round. Overall, I start him in the trot quite low and round. He needs to keep a god tempo, but not run. After trotting some circles and doing a little shoulder in, we move into a nice round canter for warm up. The key is to keep his shoulders up, but work on keeping him low and round in the contact. This requires short reins and forward hands that are active and playful. I need to constantly check not to pull back with my left rein. Also on circles, I need to readjust and lift my left side. My motto is not to get lost to the left. To the right, Gadget like to travel with his left shoulders out and his neck bent in. Because of this, I need to ride him very straight off of the left rein and think of moving his left shoulder to the inside a bit.

The theme for changes is to not let him give me a delayed change. If he does, I need to stop, re-establish the canter aids or tap with the whip. Also, for the changes, I must stay so straight and keep him up.

For the trot halfpass, think sidepass by bringing him strongly around him inside leg and moving him over. Must get the bend from inside leg, then strongly bring haunches over.

For pirouettes, I need to get a very small active canter and sit on my outside seatbone, lift my chest, and bring him around. I still have no idea what I'm doing with this.

The key to all of this work is the connection. MY LEFT REIN MUST STAY IN FRONT! It's amazing what a difference it makes if I remember to keep my left rein forward and soft. I also need to stay on my right seat bone. So hard.

My lesson with Kenny this past Saturday was great. Lots of the same work that I did with Kristin.

Shoulder-in -

  • to the left, stay a little slower and keep him from stepping in
  • to the right, can be a little more forward because it's easier
  • stay soft on inside rein and stay on outside seat bone throughout
Changes -
  • give and take half halts to keep him up and soft before the change
  • make sure left leg doesn't just stay on; take it off
Halfpass --



  • in trot and canter, I need to focus on taking the bend first
  • must stay playful in contact
  • Start slow and build power
Walk pirouettes
  • Bigger is fine as long as the sequence of the legs is working
  • Ride shoulder-in, to few steps of half pass, to walk pirouette
  • The feel of the halfpass (with both legs on) is what I need for walk piris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

2014 - New Year, New Goals

This past year was a great year for me and Gadget. Although we had our ups and downs, I've learned a lot this year. We made our third level debut, earned our bronze medal in only two shows, improved the flying changes dramatically, and earned Champion for Adult Amateurs at third level in my GMO.  For 2014, I have several goals: Keep Gadget's back feeling good. I think I have found a good combo of chiro, shoeing, saddle fit, and vet maintenance to prevent him from getting sore rather than waiting until he's in pain. Hopefully it works this year. Continue improving Third Leve l. Last year was a great intro to third level, but I am finally learning to ride Gadget more uphill, which is improving everything. This year I want to try 3-2 and 3-3. The canter-halfpass is still tough for us, but it's looking better. I am going to work to fix things that are easy points -- halts, turn on the haunches, transitions, and good centerlines. I am going to focus on the quality o...

Michael Bragdell Clinic

So I have been having an amazing summer of lessons with Ryan Yap. He really helped me feel how to collect and energize the canter, which has been the biggest challenge. He also made huge improvements in my halfpasses and helped develop more suspension in Gadget's trot. Writing these things make it sound easy, but it has taken years to get to a point where Ryan could work on these things with us. As he said, we were finally ready. So when Ryan's clinic date changed to one that conflicted with the Michael Bragdell clinic, I was so disappointed. It would have been awesome to have back-to-back weekends of clinics with those two. But I will have to wait until the spring to work with Ryan again.  As for the Michael Bragdell clinic, it was really quite amazing. I typically don't have the highest hopes for lessons when someone is seeing me and Gadget for the first time. We have lots of little issues going on and it sometimes takes a little time figure out the right way to a...