Skip to main content

Lessons with Kristin and Kenny

It has been so long since I have updated that it is hard to know where to begin. Before leaving for trial in October, I was really struggling with my rides. I finally had one good ride before taking Gadget to Kristin's where I was finally able to start to feel the rhythm for the 4's.

After the trial, I took 3 lessons from Kristin on Gadget before bringing him home. He felt so amazing - so active, light, and round. Overall, I start him in the trot quite low and round. He needs to keep a god tempo, but not run. After trotting some circles and doing a little shoulder in, we move into a nice round canter for warm up. The key is to keep his shoulders up, but work on keeping him low and round in the contact. This requires short reins and forward hands that are active and playful. I need to constantly check not to pull back with my left rein. Also on circles, I need to readjust and lift my left side. My motto is not to get lost to the left. To the right, Gadget like to travel with his left shoulders out and his neck bent in. Because of this, I need to ride him very straight off of the left rein and think of moving his left shoulder to the inside a bit.

The theme for changes is to not let him give me a delayed change. If he does, I need to stop, re-establish the canter aids or tap with the whip. Also, for the changes, I must stay so straight and keep him up.

For the trot halfpass, think sidepass by bringing him strongly around him inside leg and moving him over. Must get the bend from inside leg, then strongly bring haunches over.

For pirouettes, I need to get a very small active canter and sit on my outside seatbone, lift my chest, and bring him around. I still have no idea what I'm doing with this.

The key to all of this work is the connection. MY LEFT REIN MUST STAY IN FRONT! It's amazing what a difference it makes if I remember to keep my left rein forward and soft. I also need to stay on my right seat bone. So hard.

My lesson with Kenny this past Saturday was great. Lots of the same work that I did with Kristin.

Shoulder-in -

  • to the left, stay a little slower and keep him from stepping in
  • to the right, can be a little more forward because it's easier
  • stay soft on inside rein and stay on outside seat bone throughout
Changes -
  • give and take half halts to keep him up and soft before the change
  • make sure left leg doesn't just stay on; take it off
Halfpass --



  • in trot and canter, I need to focus on taking the bend first
  • must stay playful in contact
  • Start slow and build power
Walk pirouettes
  • Bigger is fine as long as the sequence of the legs is working
  • Ride shoulder-in, to few steps of half pass, to walk pirouette
  • The feel of the halfpass (with both legs on) is what I need for walk piris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

New Near, New Goals - 2019!

NEW YEAR, NEW GOALS! I usually love reviewing my goals, progress and dreaming up new goals for the coming year, but this year was a tough one with the loss of my dear Gadget. I read a great set of articles on the Chronicle of the Horse by Matt Brown about how to shift your thinking about goal-setting. He makes the argument against fixed, outcome goals and to instead set more of "growth mindset," process-oriented goals.  And here's a link to the first article:  http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/a-case-for-not-focusing-on-your-goals-part-1  They are totally worth reading. I think dressage requires a strong focus on the "process" and I've always enjoyed thinking about the little things that build to success. However, I will totally admit to being outcome goal driven. I love setting specific score goals and even the goal of mastering a movement. Just as Gadget taught me lots of humility and patience, Iggy is going to drive those lessons home in a who

August 2019 update!

I have really put this poor little blog on the back burner this year, but there's actually been lots of great things happening! Iggy and I have made huge leaps forward this year in terms of balance for both of us. I am finding ways to stay softer in my hands and more supportive of his straightness that has really helped. Iggy has really gained so much strength in his canter and feels like a totally different horse. We still get changes behind, but it's no longer the defining point of the ride. We switch back and carry-on just fine. Iggy has attended 3 horseshows, and he has been wonderful. He has gotten progressively braver at each show in the warm-up, and I think he actually understands the drill now. He gets a bit excited and "takes over" a bit, but it's a great feeling to have a horse that wants to go! Although I am most thrilled about the huge boost in his confidence, his performance has been great too. He has won all of his classes, with only one score o