Skip to main content

Ryan Clinic August 29-30, 2014

This weekend I rode in my first clinic of the year with Ryan. I felt good going into this clinic since Gadget worked well last week for Kristin. I had a really nice ride on Friday morning  working on getting him back on his haunches and off of my hands in the snaffle bridle. I started in the walk, by making him carry his own head. After some dramatic head flinging, he had such a better balance.

I put Gadget in his (beautiful, blingy) double bridle for the Ryan clinic, and he felt good initially but got heavier through the ride. I told Ryan my goal is to ride fourth level next year. We worked on making his trot smaller, then larger in the correct balance. To the right, I need to ride him in slight shoulder-fore without bending the neck. After all these years, this is still tricky for me.

We schooled simple changes and they were horrible! I was so surprised, but Gadget just kind of shuffled into them. I was really collecting, collecting, then asking for walk. Bad. Terrible. We finally moved off the circle and made him super sharp working on canter/walk walk/canter transitions using the whole arena. Finally, he started feeling better. We did a couple canter halfpasses, which felt okay. I need to keep him on the inside hind so that I can allow the shoulder to lead. I honestly never thought I would have a problem with haunches leading in the canter halfpass, when it took me 2 years (!!!) to feel like I could actually move his haunches sideways.

We then tried a couple changes across the short diagonal. The first couple, I did not half halt and he just threw himself through the change and barreled away afterward. The next time I lifted him back onto his haunches and got a decent change and more collected canter afterward. We schooled a couple walk pirouettes, and he said they need to be smaller for fourth level, but when I kept the haunches from swinging to the right, they are actually not terrible. Thank God for small miracles.

The second day, we really worked on  the trot halfpass. To the right, Gadget really bends his neck and throws his haunches sideways, but doesn't actually take any weight behind. I honestly thought his right halfpass rocked. I am so clueless sometimes! Ryan had two key exercises to fix this halfpass: 1) shoulder-in focusing on  inside hind to a few steps sideways, then right back to shoulder-in and 2) position in renver to the right, then move him into halfpass, then slowly change the flexion at throatlatch. The takeaway is the neck needs to feel straight to me, and the inside hind needs to feel powerful. It's all very, very hard for me to coordinate. Gadget got very frustrated and was throwing some mini hissy fits. He is not used to carrying that much behind and not used to me keeping my reins so short and making him stay light.

The highlight of the lesson was when Ryan got on Gadget. He worked mostly on the canter. He said that in the collected canter Gadget must stay quicker behind (with little taps and reminders from the leg), but he will immediately dive down on the forehand, so he needs half-halts up front. It will be tricky to teach him the balance. Watching Ryan school the changes on Gadget was awesome. He stayed in this small active canter and explained to him each time to stay active and up. He was sometimes late in front, and Ryan said he just needs to learned to stay lighted in front while staying active behind. He also showed me the trot halfpass and made it look effortless. He said I have to get a better balance, so Gadget can actually lift and cross sideways.

He also said we look much better than last year, so it's always nice when others see the progress.

Next week I am a demo rider at third level  in a symposium with an "S" judge. I really hope that Gadget and I don't embarrass ourselves! I am making a goal to have fun and not be ashamed of my weaknesses. I find a I learn more when I watch through a rider work through the tricky areas -- I may be that rider for someone else at this symposium, because we have lots of issues!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

New Near, New Goals - 2019!

NEW YEAR, NEW GOALS! I usually love reviewing my goals, progress and dreaming up new goals for the coming year, but this year was a tough one with the loss of my dear Gadget. I read a great set of articles on the Chronicle of the Horse by Matt Brown about how to shift your thinking about goal-setting. He makes the argument against fixed, outcome goals and to instead set more of "growth mindset," process-oriented goals.  And here's a link to the first article:  http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/a-case-for-not-focusing-on-your-goals-part-1  They are totally worth reading. I think dressage requires a strong focus on the "process" and I've always enjoyed thinking about the little things that build to success. However, I will totally admit to being outcome goal driven. I love setting specific score goals and even the goal of mastering a movement. Just as Gadget taught me lots of humility and patience, Iggy is going to drive those lessons home in a who

August 2019 update!

I have really put this poor little blog on the back burner this year, but there's actually been lots of great things happening! Iggy and I have made huge leaps forward this year in terms of balance for both of us. I am finding ways to stay softer in my hands and more supportive of his straightness that has really helped. Iggy has really gained so much strength in his canter and feels like a totally different horse. We still get changes behind, but it's no longer the defining point of the ride. We switch back and carry-on just fine. Iggy has attended 3 horseshows, and he has been wonderful. He has gotten progressively braver at each show in the warm-up, and I think he actually understands the drill now. He gets a bit excited and "takes over" a bit, but it's a great feeling to have a horse that wants to go! Although I am most thrilled about the huge boost in his confidence, his performance has been great too. He has won all of his classes, with only one score o