Skip to main content

Ryan Clinic August 29-30, 2014

This weekend I rode in my first clinic of the year with Ryan. I felt good going into this clinic since Gadget worked well last week for Kristin. I had a really nice ride on Friday morning  working on getting him back on his haunches and off of my hands in the snaffle bridle. I started in the walk, by making him carry his own head. After some dramatic head flinging, he had such a better balance.

I put Gadget in his (beautiful, blingy) double bridle for the Ryan clinic, and he felt good initially but got heavier through the ride. I told Ryan my goal is to ride fourth level next year. We worked on making his trot smaller, then larger in the correct balance. To the right, I need to ride him in slight shoulder-fore without bending the neck. After all these years, this is still tricky for me.

We schooled simple changes and they were horrible! I was so surprised, but Gadget just kind of shuffled into them. I was really collecting, collecting, then asking for walk. Bad. Terrible. We finally moved off the circle and made him super sharp working on canter/walk walk/canter transitions using the whole arena. Finally, he started feeling better. We did a couple canter halfpasses, which felt okay. I need to keep him on the inside hind so that I can allow the shoulder to lead. I honestly never thought I would have a problem with haunches leading in the canter halfpass, when it took me 2 years (!!!) to feel like I could actually move his haunches sideways.

We then tried a couple changes across the short diagonal. The first couple, I did not half halt and he just threw himself through the change and barreled away afterward. The next time I lifted him back onto his haunches and got a decent change and more collected canter afterward. We schooled a couple walk pirouettes, and he said they need to be smaller for fourth level, but when I kept the haunches from swinging to the right, they are actually not terrible. Thank God for small miracles.

The second day, we really worked on  the trot halfpass. To the right, Gadget really bends his neck and throws his haunches sideways, but doesn't actually take any weight behind. I honestly thought his right halfpass rocked. I am so clueless sometimes! Ryan had two key exercises to fix this halfpass: 1) shoulder-in focusing on  inside hind to a few steps sideways, then right back to shoulder-in and 2) position in renver to the right, then move him into halfpass, then slowly change the flexion at throatlatch. The takeaway is the neck needs to feel straight to me, and the inside hind needs to feel powerful. It's all very, very hard for me to coordinate. Gadget got very frustrated and was throwing some mini hissy fits. He is not used to carrying that much behind and not used to me keeping my reins so short and making him stay light.

The highlight of the lesson was when Ryan got on Gadget. He worked mostly on the canter. He said that in the collected canter Gadget must stay quicker behind (with little taps and reminders from the leg), but he will immediately dive down on the forehand, so he needs half-halts up front. It will be tricky to teach him the balance. Watching Ryan school the changes on Gadget was awesome. He stayed in this small active canter and explained to him each time to stay active and up. He was sometimes late in front, and Ryan said he just needs to learned to stay lighted in front while staying active behind. He also showed me the trot halfpass and made it look effortless. He said I have to get a better balance, so Gadget can actually lift and cross sideways.

He also said we look much better than last year, so it's always nice when others see the progress.

Next week I am a demo rider at third level  in a symposium with an "S" judge. I really hope that Gadget and I don't embarrass ourselves! I am making a goal to have fun and not be ashamed of my weaknesses. I find a I learn more when I watch through a rider work through the tricky areas -- I may be that rider for someone else at this symposium, because we have lots of issues!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

2014 - New Year, New Goals

This past year was a great year for me and Gadget. Although we had our ups and downs, I've learned a lot this year. We made our third level debut, earned our bronze medal in only two shows, improved the flying changes dramatically, and earned Champion for Adult Amateurs at third level in my GMO.  For 2014, I have several goals: Keep Gadget's back feeling good. I think I have found a good combo of chiro, shoeing, saddle fit, and vet maintenance to prevent him from getting sore rather than waiting until he's in pain. Hopefully it works this year. Continue improving Third Leve l. Last year was a great intro to third level, but I am finally learning to ride Gadget more uphill, which is improving everything. This year I want to try 3-2 and 3-3. The canter-halfpass is still tough for us, but it's looking better. I am going to work to fix things that are easy points -- halts, turn on the haunches, transitions, and good centerlines. I am going to focus on the quality o...

Michael Bragdell Clinic

So I have been having an amazing summer of lessons with Ryan Yap. He really helped me feel how to collect and energize the canter, which has been the biggest challenge. He also made huge improvements in my halfpasses and helped develop more suspension in Gadget's trot. Writing these things make it sound easy, but it has taken years to get to a point where Ryan could work on these things with us. As he said, we were finally ready. So when Ryan's clinic date changed to one that conflicted with the Michael Bragdell clinic, I was so disappointed. It would have been awesome to have back-to-back weekends of clinics with those two. But I will have to wait until the spring to work with Ryan again.  As for the Michael Bragdell clinic, it was really quite amazing. I typically don't have the highest hopes for lessons when someone is seeing me and Gadget for the first time. We have lots of little issues going on and it sometimes takes a little time figure out the right way to a...