Skip to main content

Sept. Ryan Clinic

Last weekend I rode in my monthly clinic with Ryan. As usual, he worked his magic in his quiet, methodical way.

I have been working on getting Gadget rounder over the topline, but I have been worrying that I am just dumping him on his forehand. (After this weekend, I'm quite sure that's exactly what I have been doing.)

Ryan had me warm Gadget up in his working frame where he is round and fairly level. To the right, I tend to overbend. I have been told this by so many trainers, yet it's a habit that is hard to kill. Ryan had me actually think of slight renver in the trot to move Gadget's shoulder's in front of his quarters. The key seems to be thinking of moving the shoulder and not necessarily moving the neck. Genius.
I could see the difference instantly on the video.

We went back to our "quick leg" exercise, which requires me to be very quiet with my aids and then get Gadget to get quicker from my legs. The goal is to get power from a quick hindleg, not just running. We did this at the trot, and Gadget naturally started to become lighter an more up in his shoulders and frame.

After the round warm-up canter, the next canter involved the same "quick leg" concept. This time, I was to collect, collect, collect from the outside rein, then ask for "quick leg" reaction in the canter -- really get him to jump. The key is to not ask for too much, and to not help him maintain either collection or activity. Gadget broke to trot 3 or 4 times to the right in the collected canter. He never breaks! So I think this exercise really made him work! Ryan said to quietly re-organize and go back to the canter, but to not get upset about the mistakes. The mistakes will make this work better as Gadget figures out how to maintain the collection without my help.



In the right lead, Gadget tended to brace in the collection. Ryan said not to worry about Gadget coming above the bit in the collection, but to focus on keeping the hindlegs moving.

After the collected work, Ryan had me trot Gadget low, deep, and round. He recognized that Gadget gets tight in his back, so its necessary to take him lower and rounder to loosen his back again.

Summary:
 1. ride straighter to the right; don't overbend.
 2. use "quick legs" to activate canter then collect
 3. after collecting, ride deeper in trot to loosen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

2014 - New Year, New Goals

This past year was a great year for me and Gadget. Although we had our ups and downs, I've learned a lot this year. We made our third level debut, earned our bronze medal in only two shows, improved the flying changes dramatically, and earned Champion for Adult Amateurs at third level in my GMO.  For 2014, I have several goals: Keep Gadget's back feeling good. I think I have found a good combo of chiro, shoeing, saddle fit, and vet maintenance to prevent him from getting sore rather than waiting until he's in pain. Hopefully it works this year. Continue improving Third Leve l. Last year was a great intro to third level, but I am finally learning to ride Gadget more uphill, which is improving everything. This year I want to try 3-2 and 3-3. The canter-halfpass is still tough for us, but it's looking better. I am going to work to fix things that are easy points -- halts, turn on the haunches, transitions, and good centerlines. I am going to focus on the quality o...

Michael Bragdell Clinic

So I have been having an amazing summer of lessons with Ryan Yap. He really helped me feel how to collect and energize the canter, which has been the biggest challenge. He also made huge improvements in my halfpasses and helped develop more suspension in Gadget's trot. Writing these things make it sound easy, but it has taken years to get to a point where Ryan could work on these things with us. As he said, we were finally ready. So when Ryan's clinic date changed to one that conflicted with the Michael Bragdell clinic, I was so disappointed. It would have been awesome to have back-to-back weekends of clinics with those two. But I will have to wait until the spring to work with Ryan again.  As for the Michael Bragdell clinic, it was really quite amazing. I typically don't have the highest hopes for lessons when someone is seeing me and Gadget for the first time. We have lots of little issues going on and it sometimes takes a little time figure out the right way to a...