Skip to main content

Position and Progress

As I have mentioned before, I have issues with my left rein -- mostly that I have a death grip on it. In July, I rode in two clinics and both clinicians really zeroed in on my contact issues in different ways. The first clinic with Bent really pointed out my over-active right hand and dead-weight left hand. Bent also explained that when I get stuck in the left rein, Gadget gets stuck in his back. I need to be more playful and giving with the left hand. A constant reminder through the lessons was to steady the right rein and give on the left.

Bent rode Gadget the first day and proclaimed that "he's not easy." However, Bent really stretched Gadget in a long contact to get him loose and moving through his back. He did lots of changes of direction to supple him, but he pushed him forward to a longer, round contact. The next day, I warmed up for about 15 minutes with Gadget long and low in this way. I think it really helped get his back moving. I have incorporated the stretching work into my daily warm-up, and I can feel the difference.

After getting his back moving, Bent had me ask Gadget to really step up to the contact, but to keep the contact alive. I was appalled to see how much my right hand moves on the video. I have since found that by bringing my hand closer to the withers, it tends to stay steadier. I have also found that I can find the springy trot by asking Gadget for more impulsion with not only my legs but also a tilt/thrust of my pelvis. Ryan taught me to play with different trots by simply tilting my pelvis for more forward. I used that aid during the Bent clinic with a lot of success, and I can get decent trots at home this way. I don't know why yet, but it works.

Bent made clear that Gadget needs to be softer over his topline to keep a better rhythm in the collected work, particularly the collected canter. At home, I am now getting a better collected canter, but usually by transitioning from a really good trot. I have a harder time getting a really nice canter from the walk. Those transitions still feel "stuck."

What works right now:
1. To the left in canter, steady the right rein, push with seat, and allow with a low left rein.
2. Keep right rein close to the neck to keep it steadier.
3. Warm up with lots of forward, stretching work in walk, trot, and canter.
4. Remember to half-halt with closed hand, rather than a backward pulling hand.
5. Keep Gadget on smaller circles to teach him the collection.

Despite my horrible contact issues, I was pleased to see that Gadget's trot looks better. We still have a long way to go in the canter, but it's coming along.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

New Near, New Goals - 2019!

NEW YEAR, NEW GOALS! I usually love reviewing my goals, progress and dreaming up new goals for the coming year, but this year was a tough one with the loss of my dear Gadget. I read a great set of articles on the Chronicle of the Horse by Matt Brown about how to shift your thinking about goal-setting. He makes the argument against fixed, outcome goals and to instead set more of "growth mindset," process-oriented goals.  And here's a link to the first article:  http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/a-case-for-not-focusing-on-your-goals-part-1  They are totally worth reading. I think dressage requires a strong focus on the "process" and I've always enjoyed thinking about the little things that build to success. However, I will totally admit to being outcome goal driven. I love setting specific score goals and even the goal of mastering a movement. Just as Gadget taught me lots of humility and patience, Iggy is going to drive those lessons home in a who

August 2019 update!

I have really put this poor little blog on the back burner this year, but there's actually been lots of great things happening! Iggy and I have made huge leaps forward this year in terms of balance for both of us. I am finding ways to stay softer in my hands and more supportive of his straightness that has really helped. Iggy has really gained so much strength in his canter and feels like a totally different horse. We still get changes behind, but it's no longer the defining point of the ride. We switch back and carry-on just fine. Iggy has attended 3 horseshows, and he has been wonderful. He has gotten progressively braver at each show in the warm-up, and I think he actually understands the drill now. He gets a bit excited and "takes over" a bit, but it's a great feeling to have a horse that wants to go! Although I am most thrilled about the huge boost in his confidence, his performance has been great too. He has won all of his classes, with only one score o