Skip to main content

Final 2012 Show Recap

It was not the best weekend for me and Gadget. We arrived at about 6:00 p.m., and had time to unload, unpack, and tour the beautiful show grounds. Gadget warmed up very nicely. He felt loose, forward, and soft. In retrospect, I should have probably put him together more and tested the collection. However, not wanting to pick a fight, I chose to use the evening to loosen and build his confidence.


Gadget snacking during an early morning walk at the show.
We rode late in the day on Saturday in front of Judge Lowey. The test did not feel great, and I anticipated scoring around a 57%. Instead we got the lowest score of my career with a 50% and last place. I was devastated. It didn’t help that my next test, second level test 3, scored only marginally better with a 53%. I was able to rationalize the score for the first test because we always struggle in the first ride – a combination of both our inexperience in the show rings and nerves. However, the second low score hit closer to home, and I felt panicked. I took a walk and then eventually a drive around beautiful Middleburg to let myself cry it out. Watching my tests later that evening did nothing but make me feel less excited about the second day of the show. I was just very disappointed.

I texted an upper level rider friend who gave me a new warm up plan for the next day: small circles and walk – trot transitions. She advised to get him up in the warm up and forget schooling the movements. Having no better ideas, that’s what I did.

Gadget felt more settled the second day and much steadier in the contact. The first test felt decent. It started to rain during my test, and my rubber reins got a bit slippery. I completely dropped Gadget in the counter-canter, and we broke to a trot. We got a 58.9%. The next test felt much better, but I think I needed more impulsion in the collected trot and canter. We got a 57.5 on that one.

All in all, I did not accomplish any of my riding goals at the show. However, Gadget was truly a gem. Mentally, he has really matured this year. If I can get us a bit rounder and more uphill (easier said than done), we may actually be competitive next year. I have all winter to work on it. I also really appreciated Hani this weekend. I am very competitive by nature, and my riding means a lot to me, so I take it to heart when I don’t do well. I am not a fun person to be around when I’m wallowing in my own self-doubt and pity. However, Hani seems to take it all in stride and stays supportive and mellow, which eventually brings me back to reality. I’m so lucky to have him.
My two loves sharing a moment.
 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

2014 - New Year, New Goals

This past year was a great year for me and Gadget. Although we had our ups and downs, I've learned a lot this year. We made our third level debut, earned our bronze medal in only two shows, improved the flying changes dramatically, and earned Champion for Adult Amateurs at third level in my GMO.  For 2014, I have several goals: Keep Gadget's back feeling good. I think I have found a good combo of chiro, shoeing, saddle fit, and vet maintenance to prevent him from getting sore rather than waiting until he's in pain. Hopefully it works this year. Continue improving Third Leve l. Last year was a great intro to third level, but I am finally learning to ride Gadget more uphill, which is improving everything. This year I want to try 3-2 and 3-3. The canter-halfpass is still tough for us, but it's looking better. I am going to work to fix things that are easy points -- halts, turn on the haunches, transitions, and good centerlines. I am going to focus on the quality o...

Michael Bragdell Clinic

So I have been having an amazing summer of lessons with Ryan Yap. He really helped me feel how to collect and energize the canter, which has been the biggest challenge. He also made huge improvements in my halfpasses and helped develop more suspension in Gadget's trot. Writing these things make it sound easy, but it has taken years to get to a point where Ryan could work on these things with us. As he said, we were finally ready. So when Ryan's clinic date changed to one that conflicted with the Michael Bragdell clinic, I was so disappointed. It would have been awesome to have back-to-back weekends of clinics with those two. But I will have to wait until the spring to work with Ryan again.  As for the Michael Bragdell clinic, it was really quite amazing. I typically don't have the highest hopes for lessons when someone is seeing me and Gadget for the first time. We have lots of little issues going on and it sometimes takes a little time figure out the right way to a...