Skip to main content

August 2019 update!

I have really put this poor little blog on the back burner this year, but there's actually been lots of great things happening!

Iggy and I have made huge leaps forward this year in terms of balance for both of us. I am finding ways to stay softer in my hands and more supportive of his straightness that has really helped. Iggy has really gained so much strength in his canter and feels like a totally different horse. We still get changes behind, but it's no longer the defining point of the ride. We switch back and carry-on just fine.

Iggy has attended 3 horseshows, and he has been wonderful. He has gotten progressively braver at each show in the warm-up, and I think he actually understands the drill now. He gets a bit excited and "takes over" a bit, but it's a great feeling to have a horse that wants to go! Although I am most thrilled about the huge boost in his confidence, his performance has been great too. He has won all of his classes, with only one score of 69 not in the 70s. He has been high score of the show at all three shows -- just crazy incredible. He's also currently ranked 15th out of 215 first level horses in the U.S. and 4th among Adult Amateur riders at 1st level.

Ryan Yap is my rock of a trainer that keeps us focused on our transitions and connection every single month. And it is paying off in spades. At the last clinic, we played with the introduction of flying changes. Obviously, we have lots of work to do there, but it feels so exciting that everything is heading in the right direction.

And Iggy has been carting me around and competing with me having a baby on board. Currently 18 weeks pregnant, I feel incredibly fortunate to keep on doing what I love for as long as I can. Iggy is very sharp and sensitive, but he is thankfully safe and sensible too. I'm still fitting in just a couple pairs of my stretchier breeches but see riding tights in my near future!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

2014 - New Year, New Goals

This past year was a great year for me and Gadget. Although we had our ups and downs, I've learned a lot this year. We made our third level debut, earned our bronze medal in only two shows, improved the flying changes dramatically, and earned Champion for Adult Amateurs at third level in my GMO.  For 2014, I have several goals: Keep Gadget's back feeling good. I think I have found a good combo of chiro, shoeing, saddle fit, and vet maintenance to prevent him from getting sore rather than waiting until he's in pain. Hopefully it works this year. Continue improving Third Leve l. Last year was a great intro to third level, but I am finally learning to ride Gadget more uphill, which is improving everything. This year I want to try 3-2 and 3-3. The canter-halfpass is still tough for us, but it's looking better. I am going to work to fix things that are easy points -- halts, turn on the haunches, transitions, and good centerlines. I am going to focus on the quality o...

Michael Bragdell Clinic

So I have been having an amazing summer of lessons with Ryan Yap. He really helped me feel how to collect and energize the canter, which has been the biggest challenge. He also made huge improvements in my halfpasses and helped develop more suspension in Gadget's trot. Writing these things make it sound easy, but it has taken years to get to a point where Ryan could work on these things with us. As he said, we were finally ready. So when Ryan's clinic date changed to one that conflicted with the Michael Bragdell clinic, I was so disappointed. It would have been awesome to have back-to-back weekends of clinics with those two. But I will have to wait until the spring to work with Ryan again.  As for the Michael Bragdell clinic, it was really quite amazing. I typically don't have the highest hopes for lessons when someone is seeing me and Gadget for the first time. We have lots of little issues going on and it sometimes takes a little time figure out the right way to a...