Skip to main content

Summer Fun with Iggy (May 2018 post)

There's so much to catch up on that it's hard to know where to start! First, Iggy is now a show horse. He attended a schooling show at Horse On Course. He was very well behaved in frigid temperatures. His back was tight, so our canter was a mess. However, he was brave and pleasant, so I chalked it up as a win! (And he did win his Training 2 class even with his mistakes.)

We then attended our first recognized show at Morven Park in Leesburg, Virginia the following weekend. It's a beautiful facility and we had a great weekend with friends. Iggy settled into the show grounds eating and drinking perfectly. He seemed to like the busy show atmosphere as a spectator, but the warm up arena had his little mind spinning. We don's ride with other horses at my quiet boarding barn very often, so the busy atmosphere was a lot for him to handle. He did well, but he took a distinct dislike to the cute draft cross and the upper level horse schooling with us. They were worthy of some whirling and spinning to avoid getting too close.

After surviving the warm-up, Iggy was spent and did not think it was necessary to actually enter the show ring. After some strong encouragement, he finally trotted around the ring and we rode our test. There were lots of schooling moments, and our canter to the left was tight and had some swaps behind to the off lead. Given how well he has been going at home, I think it's combination of tightness in his back and weakness that made the canter such a mess at the show.

Even with all of the mistakes, he managed to score a 69% on Saturday in Training 2 and second place out of a large open class. Sunday we did not fare as well and we came in dead last in training 3 with a 59%. It was well deserved as we had all kinds of changes - including a clean flying change over x -- exactly where we should have trotted. Although I was a bit disappointed that his canter was so unbalanced, I was very pleased with his overall attitude and behavior. I think with time and experience, he is going to be so much fun!

After the show at Morven Park, I spent the next week going back to the drawing board. I decided to ride him completely in half seat and with his neck very low and low in all three gaits. He felt great and I could feel him using his whole body correctly. We have now been using this very long and low feel for our warm up in all three gaits, and then I gradually work through transitions until he allows me to put him together and have more contact on the reins. At home and at clinics, this is working well. But I'm still not sure we are ready for another horse show. We'll give this new method some time.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

2014 - New Year, New Goals

This past year was a great year for me and Gadget. Although we had our ups and downs, I've learned a lot this year. We made our third level debut, earned our bronze medal in only two shows, improved the flying changes dramatically, and earned Champion for Adult Amateurs at third level in my GMO.  For 2014, I have several goals: Keep Gadget's back feeling good. I think I have found a good combo of chiro, shoeing, saddle fit, and vet maintenance to prevent him from getting sore rather than waiting until he's in pain. Hopefully it works this year. Continue improving Third Leve l. Last year was a great intro to third level, but I am finally learning to ride Gadget more uphill, which is improving everything. This year I want to try 3-2 and 3-3. The canter-halfpass is still tough for us, but it's looking better. I am going to work to fix things that are easy points -- halts, turn on the haunches, transitions, and good centerlines. I am going to focus on the quality o...

Michael Bragdell Clinic

So I have been having an amazing summer of lessons with Ryan Yap. He really helped me feel how to collect and energize the canter, which has been the biggest challenge. He also made huge improvements in my halfpasses and helped develop more suspension in Gadget's trot. Writing these things make it sound easy, but it has taken years to get to a point where Ryan could work on these things with us. As he said, we were finally ready. So when Ryan's clinic date changed to one that conflicted with the Michael Bragdell clinic, I was so disappointed. It would have been awesome to have back-to-back weekends of clinics with those two. But I will have to wait until the spring to work with Ryan again.  As for the Michael Bragdell clinic, it was really quite amazing. I typically don't have the highest hopes for lessons when someone is seeing me and Gadget for the first time. We have lots of little issues going on and it sometimes takes a little time figure out the right way to a...