Skip to main content

Summer Fun with Iggy (May 2018 post)

There's so much to catch up on that it's hard to know where to start! First, Iggy is now a show horse. He attended a schooling show at Horse On Course. He was very well behaved in frigid temperatures. His back was tight, so our canter was a mess. However, he was brave and pleasant, so I chalked it up as a win! (And he did win his Training 2 class even with his mistakes.)

We then attended our first recognized show at Morven Park in Leesburg, Virginia the following weekend. It's a beautiful facility and we had a great weekend with friends. Iggy settled into the show grounds eating and drinking perfectly. He seemed to like the busy show atmosphere as a spectator, but the warm up arena had his little mind spinning. We don's ride with other horses at my quiet boarding barn very often, so the busy atmosphere was a lot for him to handle. He did well, but he took a distinct dislike to the cute draft cross and the upper level horse schooling with us. They were worthy of some whirling and spinning to avoid getting too close.

After surviving the warm-up, Iggy was spent and did not think it was necessary to actually enter the show ring. After some strong encouragement, he finally trotted around the ring and we rode our test. There were lots of schooling moments, and our canter to the left was tight and had some swaps behind to the off lead. Given how well he has been going at home, I think it's combination of tightness in his back and weakness that made the canter such a mess at the show.

Even with all of the mistakes, he managed to score a 69% on Saturday in Training 2 and second place out of a large open class. Sunday we did not fare as well and we came in dead last in training 3 with a 59%. It was well deserved as we had all kinds of changes - including a clean flying change over x -- exactly where we should have trotted. Although I was a bit disappointed that his canter was so unbalanced, I was very pleased with his overall attitude and behavior. I think with time and experience, he is going to be so much fun!

After the show at Morven Park, I spent the next week going back to the drawing board. I decided to ride him completely in half seat and with his neck very low and low in all three gaits. He felt great and I could feel him using his whole body correctly. We have now been using this very long and low feel for our warm up in all three gaits, and then I gradually work through transitions until he allows me to put him together and have more contact on the reins. At home and at clinics, this is working well. But I'm still not sure we are ready for another horse show. We'll give this new method some time.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

New Near, New Goals - 2019!

NEW YEAR, NEW GOALS! I usually love reviewing my goals, progress and dreaming up new goals for the coming year, but this year was a tough one with the loss of my dear Gadget. I read a great set of articles on the Chronicle of the Horse by Matt Brown about how to shift your thinking about goal-setting. He makes the argument against fixed, outcome goals and to instead set more of "growth mindset," process-oriented goals.  And here's a link to the first article:  http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/a-case-for-not-focusing-on-your-goals-part-1  They are totally worth reading. I think dressage requires a strong focus on the "process" and I've always enjoyed thinking about the little things that build to success. However, I will totally admit to being outcome goal driven. I love setting specific score goals and even the goal of mastering a movement. Just as Gadget taught me lots of humility and patience, Iggy is going to drive those lessons home in a who

August 2019 update!

I have really put this poor little blog on the back burner this year, but there's actually been lots of great things happening! Iggy and I have made huge leaps forward this year in terms of balance for both of us. I am finding ways to stay softer in my hands and more supportive of his straightness that has really helped. Iggy has really gained so much strength in his canter and feels like a totally different horse. We still get changes behind, but it's no longer the defining point of the ride. We switch back and carry-on just fine. Iggy has attended 3 horseshows, and he has been wonderful. He has gotten progressively braver at each show in the warm-up, and I think he actually understands the drill now. He gets a bit excited and "takes over" a bit, but it's a great feeling to have a horse that wants to go! Although I am most thrilled about the huge boost in his confidence, his performance has been great too. He has won all of his classes, with only one score o