Skip to main content

July 2017 Ryan Clinic

So I had a terrible ride on Friday before the clinic. I started with playing with halfsteps on the ground before the ride, and Gadget was not in the mood. I had watched a youtube video to try to make the steps more on the spot and do a few steps rein back to get the horse on the haunches. Gadget gets fairly pushy during halfsteps, so I thought this would be a good idea. Wrong. He was so frustrated by not moving forward that he just opted to buck or rear. I gave up and moved outside to ride.

I think we just couldn't shake the negative beginning and we just could not get on the same page. After a good stretch and attempting a few exercises, I called it quits. I am at least proud of myself for just ending the session and saving him for the weekend instead of trying to make a point.

So on Saturday, I really didn't know whether Gadget would still be holding a grudge or sore from his antics. Lucky for me, he felt fine, if not a touch tired. He spent the night turned outside, so a bit tired is to be expected. We warmed up normally and then went to canter on the quarterline really focusing on straightness and collecting. We moved to the working pirouettes exercise of riding the diagonal line, then turning a step, forward a step, etc. This has been a hard exercise at home, but today Gadget gave me a really good feeling. To the left, I need to be steady on the right rein and soft on the left. He stayed in a very small canter, but it needs more jump. I also need to stay soft in my seat on the inside and give him a lace to step up. To the right, I still need to keep the right rein and soft on the left. Gadget has better balance and strength on this side. And he was more accepting of the pressure to hold him on the spot and still push him for activity -- so cool!

Here's a clip:

I told Ryan that I am struggling with tempis at the shows, and he helped me school the single changes in a way that will eventually improve the tempis. Number one issue is that the left changes are a half a stride later than I ask. Ryan said I am holding too much in my left rein. No surprise there as that has been a habit I've fought for years. So in asking for left change, I am to strongly halfhalt the right rein, and give the left rein, then ask. This got some big lovely single left changes.

Exercise to improve left change:

  1. canter down longside to left
  2. leg yield away from track toward quarterline
  3. flying change to right lead
  4. strongly half-halt the right rein
  5. Give the left
  6. small balance bump from the left leg
  7. then ask for the left lead with right leg
  8. (this all needs to happen together at once!)
Gadget needs to get where the left lead and left change become effortless again. Definitely left this clinic with a lot of homework. Hopefully I'll be able to work through these issues.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

2014 - New Year, New Goals

This past year was a great year for me and Gadget. Although we had our ups and downs, I've learned a lot this year. We made our third level debut, earned our bronze medal in only two shows, improved the flying changes dramatically, and earned Champion for Adult Amateurs at third level in my GMO.  For 2014, I have several goals: Keep Gadget's back feeling good. I think I have found a good combo of chiro, shoeing, saddle fit, and vet maintenance to prevent him from getting sore rather than waiting until he's in pain. Hopefully it works this year. Continue improving Third Leve l. Last year was a great intro to third level, but I am finally learning to ride Gadget more uphill, which is improving everything. This year I want to try 3-2 and 3-3. The canter-halfpass is still tough for us, but it's looking better. I am going to work to fix things that are easy points -- halts, turn on the haunches, transitions, and good centerlines. I am going to focus on the quality o...

Michael Bragdell Clinic

So I have been having an amazing summer of lessons with Ryan Yap. He really helped me feel how to collect and energize the canter, which has been the biggest challenge. He also made huge improvements in my halfpasses and helped develop more suspension in Gadget's trot. Writing these things make it sound easy, but it has taken years to get to a point where Ryan could work on these things with us. As he said, we were finally ready. So when Ryan's clinic date changed to one that conflicted with the Michael Bragdell clinic, I was so disappointed. It would have been awesome to have back-to-back weekends of clinics with those two. But I will have to wait until the spring to work with Ryan again.  As for the Michael Bragdell clinic, it was really quite amazing. I typically don't have the highest hopes for lessons when someone is seeing me and Gadget for the first time. We have lots of little issues going on and it sometimes takes a little time figure out the right way to a...