Skip to main content

Mission Dream Horse - Finale

Spoiler -- I bought a horse!

After being home from Holland for weeks, I still thought about my favorite horse by Dream boy. I watched the video of me riding him almost every day and I wondered if I had made the right decision. To satisfy my own worry, I decided to find an independant sport horse vet, someone that knows dressage, and have that vet look at the films. My vet, who has done such a fabulous job keeping Gadget sound, admitted that he doesn't look at warmblood rads all of the time and knows they are different than his usual customers. So I found a vet who specializes in sport horses, does lots of lameness work, and is married to an upper level dressage rider. He reviewed the x-rays and immediately noted the same small issues on the x-rays, but said he was not concerned and would tell his wife to buy the horse. To be extra careful, he decided to request a few extra views.


When Ryan called to see if the horse was still available, someone was flying from Canada specifically to try him the next day. Over the last few weeks, I've prayed a lot about making these decisions. And I believed that if that horse was meant for me, he would still be there. And he was. :) The Canadians bought a different horse, we vetted out my Dreamboy baby, and once the bloodwork comes back next week, he'll be hitching a flight on June 10th to the U.S. of A. 


I am so excited about this adventure and the journey of  bringing along a young, talented horse. As Ryan has reminded me, with Gadget there were no expectations. Everything he has ever accomplished has been a pleasant surprise. And because of that, I have not felt any pressure that I had anything to prove or accomplish. I certainly was very goal-oriented and determined with Gadget, but he has truly dictated how far we have come. With this horse. I have a lot of hopes and dreams pinned to him. Hopefully, I'll be able to push those aside and really enjoy and learn from this totally new experience. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

New Near, New Goals - 2019!

NEW YEAR, NEW GOALS! I usually love reviewing my goals, progress and dreaming up new goals for the coming year, but this year was a tough one with the loss of my dear Gadget. I read a great set of articles on the Chronicle of the Horse by Matt Brown about how to shift your thinking about goal-setting. He makes the argument against fixed, outcome goals and to instead set more of "growth mindset," process-oriented goals.  And here's a link to the first article:  http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/a-case-for-not-focusing-on-your-goals-part-1  They are totally worth reading. I think dressage requires a strong focus on the "process" and I've always enjoyed thinking about the little things that build to success. However, I will totally admit to being outcome goal driven. I love setting specific score goals and even the goal of mastering a movement. Just as Gadget taught me lots of humility and patience, Iggy is going to drive those lessons home in a who

August 2019 update!

I have really put this poor little blog on the back burner this year, but there's actually been lots of great things happening! Iggy and I have made huge leaps forward this year in terms of balance for both of us. I am finding ways to stay softer in my hands and more supportive of his straightness that has really helped. Iggy has really gained so much strength in his canter and feels like a totally different horse. We still get changes behind, but it's no longer the defining point of the ride. We switch back and carry-on just fine. Iggy has attended 3 horseshows, and he has been wonderful. He has gotten progressively braver at each show in the warm-up, and I think he actually understands the drill now. He gets a bit excited and "takes over" a bit, but it's a great feeling to have a horse that wants to go! Although I am most thrilled about the huge boost in his confidence, his performance has been great too. He has won all of his classes, with only one score o