Skip to main content

Ryan Clinic April 2017 - Prelude to Another Adventure!

The first clinic with Ryan finally came, and Gadget and I have not been as focused lately. After getting our last score needed for the USDF silver medal, I had admittedly ridden less. The rides that I've had have been more about the basics and lots of cavaletti work. My rides have felt good, so I was hopeful going into this clinic that Gadget would be feeling fresh and renewed. I think it worked.

DAY1

The first day we worked on really collecting the canter while keeping his shoulders up. In the past, when we asked for more collection, he lost the rhythm or really buried his head. On Saturday, he took the half halts and really sat. It was the best feeling. We did some changes -3s and 2s. Although the 2s are still quite green, they are there. I need to make sure not to over ride them. I just need to get Gadget sharper off of the leg, so that I am not tempted to "help" him by jumping up in my seat.

We worked on some canter halfpasses, with a focus in the left halfpass of really riding strongly on my right side. Right seat toward left bit, left shoulder back, left elbow at my side, and sitting on the right seat bone. I have to keep that right hind engage and under. This really helped.

One of the most fun parts of the ride was the half steps with Ryan helping tap him up. Gadget stayed cooperative and let us play with shorter steps then asking for bigger steps with tapping on the foreleg to encourage him to reach (I think). Very fun!

It was nice that Ryan commented how much more muscled Gadget's topline has gotten. Sometimes because I see him everyday, I don't see it. He also said "there's more in there" with Gadget, which is wonderful to hear. I am having so much fun enjoying him at this point, and I love that Ryan sees we have not met our limit yet! Onward!

DAY 2

Often when I have a great ride on day 1, I don't have enough horse to really have the same quality on day 2. That was not the case this weekend. Gadget stretched beautifully in warm up and then we put him back into canter to again practice the collection. We then moved on to the pirouette work. We began with the quarter turns on a square. To the right, I need to not ask for too many steps. To the left, I need to keep his shoulders to the right with his neck bent slightly left. This position is key. From the square, we then rode a long diagonal toward centerline, then allowing 2 steps turning, then forward in collection, 2 more steps, collect forward, 2 more steps, collect forward. Then ride the diagonal again toward centerline at A to repeat the exericse. It sounds complicated, but it was magic in obtaining ridability in the pirouettes! Gadget was so patient and really let me ride each step of these. This will be great for practicing at home.

We then practiced some lines of 3 tempis focusing on the straightness and staying on the line of the diagonal. I throw Gadget to the left with my seat,so this was tough. Once we got a good line, the changes were actually bigger and more through.

Ryan then through my a curveball with the I1 canterzag pattern. I have seen the zigzag ridden at shows, but I've never tried it at home. It's similar to the PSG canter halfpass movement, the zig zags are between the quarterlines. I was actually impressed with our first attempts. The key is halfpass, straighten a stride, change, straighten a stride, then halfpass the new direction. This is going to be the way Gadget and I need to learn it so that I don't just through his neck around. It's always exciting to try someone new, even if I felt a little unprepared!

Finally, we finished in the collected trot trying to get power and "up" without quickness. Ryan would say "make his front legs come up." And what this meant was aim to add expression to the trot by loosening and lightening the front end. It took some time to get the feel of adding the power and expression without loosing the rhythm. Finally, we took this feeling into trot halfpass without any bend -- just maintaining the connection and push from behind. It was awesome.

What was so nice about the weekend is that I really was able to RIDE Gadget, really ride. He did not get mad or shutdown. I could be light, give the aid, and be quiet. It's amazing how fun he has become. This second ride in the clinic was definitely one of the best rides I've ever had on him.

And this clinic was the beginning of what I hope will be a wonderful week of horse shopping! Ryan, Lin, and I leave tomorrow for Amsterdam to shop for a young horse that I can begin bringing along as well. It's literally a dream come true, and I am really, truly overwhelmed with excitement and anticipation. Hopefully there will be a new family member soon. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

2014 - New Year, New Goals

This past year was a great year for me and Gadget. Although we had our ups and downs, I've learned a lot this year. We made our third level debut, earned our bronze medal in only two shows, improved the flying changes dramatically, and earned Champion for Adult Amateurs at third level in my GMO.  For 2014, I have several goals: Keep Gadget's back feeling good. I think I have found a good combo of chiro, shoeing, saddle fit, and vet maintenance to prevent him from getting sore rather than waiting until he's in pain. Hopefully it works this year. Continue improving Third Leve l. Last year was a great intro to third level, but I am finally learning to ride Gadget more uphill, which is improving everything. This year I want to try 3-2 and 3-3. The canter-halfpass is still tough for us, but it's looking better. I am going to work to fix things that are easy points -- halts, turn on the haunches, transitions, and good centerlines. I am going to focus on the quality o...

Michael Bragdell Clinic

So I have been having an amazing summer of lessons with Ryan Yap. He really helped me feel how to collect and energize the canter, which has been the biggest challenge. He also made huge improvements in my halfpasses and helped develop more suspension in Gadget's trot. Writing these things make it sound easy, but it has taken years to get to a point where Ryan could work on these things with us. As he said, we were finally ready. So when Ryan's clinic date changed to one that conflicted with the Michael Bragdell clinic, I was so disappointed. It would have been awesome to have back-to-back weekends of clinics with those two. But I will have to wait until the spring to work with Ryan again.  As for the Michael Bragdell clinic, it was really quite amazing. I typically don't have the highest hopes for lessons when someone is seeing me and Gadget for the first time. We have lots of little issues going on and it sometimes takes a little time figure out the right way to a...