Skip to main content

Ryan Clinic April 2017 - Prelude to Another Adventure!

The first clinic with Ryan finally came, and Gadget and I have not been as focused lately. After getting our last score needed for the USDF silver medal, I had admittedly ridden less. The rides that I've had have been more about the basics and lots of cavaletti work. My rides have felt good, so I was hopeful going into this clinic that Gadget would be feeling fresh and renewed. I think it worked.

DAY1

The first day we worked on really collecting the canter while keeping his shoulders up. In the past, when we asked for more collection, he lost the rhythm or really buried his head. On Saturday, he took the half halts and really sat. It was the best feeling. We did some changes -3s and 2s. Although the 2s are still quite green, they are there. I need to make sure not to over ride them. I just need to get Gadget sharper off of the leg, so that I am not tempted to "help" him by jumping up in my seat.

We worked on some canter halfpasses, with a focus in the left halfpass of really riding strongly on my right side. Right seat toward left bit, left shoulder back, left elbow at my side, and sitting on the right seat bone. I have to keep that right hind engage and under. This really helped.

One of the most fun parts of the ride was the half steps with Ryan helping tap him up. Gadget stayed cooperative and let us play with shorter steps then asking for bigger steps with tapping on the foreleg to encourage him to reach (I think). Very fun!

It was nice that Ryan commented how much more muscled Gadget's topline has gotten. Sometimes because I see him everyday, I don't see it. He also said "there's more in there" with Gadget, which is wonderful to hear. I am having so much fun enjoying him at this point, and I love that Ryan sees we have not met our limit yet! Onward!

DAY 2

Often when I have a great ride on day 1, I don't have enough horse to really have the same quality on day 2. That was not the case this weekend. Gadget stretched beautifully in warm up and then we put him back into canter to again practice the collection. We then moved on to the pirouette work. We began with the quarter turns on a square. To the right, I need to not ask for too many steps. To the left, I need to keep his shoulders to the right with his neck bent slightly left. This position is key. From the square, we then rode a long diagonal toward centerline, then allowing 2 steps turning, then forward in collection, 2 more steps, collect forward, 2 more steps, collect forward. Then ride the diagonal again toward centerline at A to repeat the exericse. It sounds complicated, but it was magic in obtaining ridability in the pirouettes! Gadget was so patient and really let me ride each step of these. This will be great for practicing at home.

We then practiced some lines of 3 tempis focusing on the straightness and staying on the line of the diagonal. I throw Gadget to the left with my seat,so this was tough. Once we got a good line, the changes were actually bigger and more through.

Ryan then through my a curveball with the I1 canterzag pattern. I have seen the zigzag ridden at shows, but I've never tried it at home. It's similar to the PSG canter halfpass movement, the zig zags are between the quarterlines. I was actually impressed with our first attempts. The key is halfpass, straighten a stride, change, straighten a stride, then halfpass the new direction. This is going to be the way Gadget and I need to learn it so that I don't just through his neck around. It's always exciting to try someone new, even if I felt a little unprepared!

Finally, we finished in the collected trot trying to get power and "up" without quickness. Ryan would say "make his front legs come up." And what this meant was aim to add expression to the trot by loosening and lightening the front end. It took some time to get the feel of adding the power and expression without loosing the rhythm. Finally, we took this feeling into trot halfpass without any bend -- just maintaining the connection and push from behind. It was awesome.

What was so nice about the weekend is that I really was able to RIDE Gadget, really ride. He did not get mad or shutdown. I could be light, give the aid, and be quiet. It's amazing how fun he has become. This second ride in the clinic was definitely one of the best rides I've ever had on him.

And this clinic was the beginning of what I hope will be a wonderful week of horse shopping! Ryan, Lin, and I leave tomorrow for Amsterdam to shop for a young horse that I can begin bringing along as well. It's literally a dream come true, and I am really, truly overwhelmed with excitement and anticipation. Hopefully there will be a new family member soon. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

New Near, New Goals - 2019!

NEW YEAR, NEW GOALS! I usually love reviewing my goals, progress and dreaming up new goals for the coming year, but this year was a tough one with the loss of my dear Gadget. I read a great set of articles on the Chronicle of the Horse by Matt Brown about how to shift your thinking about goal-setting. He makes the argument against fixed, outcome goals and to instead set more of "growth mindset," process-oriented goals.  And here's a link to the first article:  http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/a-case-for-not-focusing-on-your-goals-part-1  They are totally worth reading. I think dressage requires a strong focus on the "process" and I've always enjoyed thinking about the little things that build to success. However, I will totally admit to being outcome goal driven. I love setting specific score goals and even the goal of mastering a movement. Just as Gadget taught me lots of humility and patience, Iggy is going to drive those lessons home in a who

August 2019 update!

I have really put this poor little blog on the back burner this year, but there's actually been lots of great things happening! Iggy and I have made huge leaps forward this year in terms of balance for both of us. I am finding ways to stay softer in my hands and more supportive of his straightness that has really helped. Iggy has really gained so much strength in his canter and feels like a totally different horse. We still get changes behind, but it's no longer the defining point of the ride. We switch back and carry-on just fine. Iggy has attended 3 horseshows, and he has been wonderful. He has gotten progressively braver at each show in the warm-up, and I think he actually understands the drill now. He gets a bit excited and "takes over" a bit, but it's a great feeling to have a horse that wants to go! Although I am most thrilled about the huge boost in his confidence, his performance has been great too. He has won all of his classes, with only one score o