Skip to main content

Late Entry - October Ryan Yap Clinic 2016

Gadget has had a lighter workload the last couple months, but I have been trying to get us both back in gear over the past couple weeks. I have been really nailing my tempis, so I was excited to show Ryan our progress. I also have been riding Gadget in the snaffle exclusively and felt like I was getting a better connection in the canter, so I decided day 1 of the clinic would be the snaffle.

In this clinic, Ryan really focused on getting Gadget more active behind. We spent a lot of time in our "smaller trot" where we make it as small as possible while still asking for activity. Ryan said this has a better rhythm than it used to (he doesn't try to walk), but we need to get more power from the hind end.

I was constantly reminded to keep my hands low, even though they felt fairly low. It's amazing how "feel" can be so misleading.

We did some shoulder-in to half-pass in trot. This felt pretty good. We moved to canter, establishing shoulder fore before doing our halfpasses. These also felt pretty good.

When we finally moved to our tempis, I blew them. Gadget got stuck in his shoulders, so that changes were off the count. I was so frustrated! I told Ryan that I have been getting them at home, and we talked about how I set it up at home. I told him that I ride the tiny trot getting him up in the shoulders, then move to canter and ride them. Ryan said that's a good exercise, but now I need to learn to ride other canter work and be able to rebalance him for the tempis -- like in the test. Sometimes the answer is so obvious. Thank God for patient trainers. Ryan said that I don't get Gadget organized and up enough enough in the shoulders, so that needs to be my new goal.

Ryan also emphasized that the changes are not a problem and not to worry about them. He said focusing on how I ride my corners, set up the canter, and keep him on his hind end will make or break my PSG tests.

Toward the end, we rode some trot work trying to get more volume in the trot. I think of it as being more bouncy without being faster. It was a fantastic lesson.

Day 2 was also great. I put Gadget back in the double, and we really focused on keeping my hands low. It felt like they were on his shoulders, but the video confirmed that not to be the case. The key is to keep his neck softer and rounder, while letting his shoulders come up. This will be a challenge for me without mirrors.

We again played with a lot of transitions from smaller trot to larger trot. We did some transitions in the canter, making him stay up through the transitions and even in the counter canter. There was a focus throughout the lesson on a loose leg. He must maintain the activity and, if not, I box his with my calves - not the spur.

We ended with quarter pirouettes on a square and they felt so much better! To the right, he was so willing to sit and let me drive. Even to the left, he was willing to stay in a small canter and turn. To the left, I must keep the reins and neck soft as that make such a big difference for Gadget.

Overall, really good lessons with lots of homework!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

New Near, New Goals - 2019!

NEW YEAR, NEW GOALS! I usually love reviewing my goals, progress and dreaming up new goals for the coming year, but this year was a tough one with the loss of my dear Gadget. I read a great set of articles on the Chronicle of the Horse by Matt Brown about how to shift your thinking about goal-setting. He makes the argument against fixed, outcome goals and to instead set more of "growth mindset," process-oriented goals.  And here's a link to the first article:  http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/a-case-for-not-focusing-on-your-goals-part-1  They are totally worth reading. I think dressage requires a strong focus on the "process" and I've always enjoyed thinking about the little things that build to success. However, I will totally admit to being outcome goal driven. I love setting specific score goals and even the goal of mastering a movement. Just as Gadget taught me lots of humility and patience, Iggy is going to drive those lessons home in a who

August 2019 update!

I have really put this poor little blog on the back burner this year, but there's actually been lots of great things happening! Iggy and I have made huge leaps forward this year in terms of balance for both of us. I am finding ways to stay softer in my hands and more supportive of his straightness that has really helped. Iggy has really gained so much strength in his canter and feels like a totally different horse. We still get changes behind, but it's no longer the defining point of the ride. We switch back and carry-on just fine. Iggy has attended 3 horseshows, and he has been wonderful. He has gotten progressively braver at each show in the warm-up, and I think he actually understands the drill now. He gets a bit excited and "takes over" a bit, but it's a great feeling to have a horse that wants to go! Although I am most thrilled about the huge boost in his confidence, his performance has been great too. He has won all of his classes, with only one score o