Skip to main content
I am so behind on this blog! After my wonderful first outing at PSG in July, I hurriedly looked for another competition this season where I could try to earn my last score for my silver. The week before the next competition, I really struggled to get Gadget connected and the changes felt like a mess. I found out that Gadget had been off of his previcox for about ten days. If there was any doubt in my mind that it was making a difference, it was quickly dispelled by the difference I can feel when he is not on it. I gave him a couple days off, did one more light schooling ride and off we went to the show.

I really thought I would get my last score for my silver at this show. Yet, even though I didn't have the rides that I expected, I had such a great time at the show. I've learned that who you show with and their attitudes really make such a huge difference. I stabled with my favorite group of ladies, and we were all chasing scores toward silver or gold medals or toward judge's qualifications. Even with these goals, no one in the group let it make them stressed or behave any differently. We all watched each other ride, helped each other tack and untack, and generally enjoyed the heck out of the horseshow. Because we all were on upper level horses, we all finished our rides early in the day and then had the luxury of leaving the horses to get a real lunch at a restaurant and making our way to the fabulous Equus Now tack shop!



Now to discuss my tests, Gadget actually gave me a good effort on the first day, but I rode terribly. Our trot work and walk work had good scores, but I did not do a good job getting him set up for the changes and overall did not have the quality of canter I needed in the test. We scored a 58.5%. On the second day, we rode in the pouring rain . Gadget felt very disagreeable in the warm-up ring and it surfaced in the show ring during our right canter pirouette. Usually that pirouette is very easy and takes little prep. When I felt him not giving me his usual effort, I gave an extra kick and he actually gave a buck and rear on the spot to to express his displeasure with the kick! Thankfully, I managed to stay in the saddle and picked up the counter canter from the halt to finish the test. It was not pretty and we earned a 57.8%. Despite the theatrics and being told by the judge "Way to stay on, cowgirl!" on my way out of the ring, I knew Gadget didn't feel like himself so I was able to laugh it off. We now have the whole winter to work the kinks out of PSG. I am so, so proud of our progress and it will mean even more next year when we can hopefully finish off the scores needed for our silver medal.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

New Near, New Goals - 2019!

NEW YEAR, NEW GOALS! I usually love reviewing my goals, progress and dreaming up new goals for the coming year, but this year was a tough one with the loss of my dear Gadget. I read a great set of articles on the Chronicle of the Horse by Matt Brown about how to shift your thinking about goal-setting. He makes the argument against fixed, outcome goals and to instead set more of "growth mindset," process-oriented goals.  And here's a link to the first article:  http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/a-case-for-not-focusing-on-your-goals-part-1  They are totally worth reading. I think dressage requires a strong focus on the "process" and I've always enjoyed thinking about the little things that build to success. However, I will totally admit to being outcome goal driven. I love setting specific score goals and even the goal of mastering a movement. Just as Gadget taught me lots of humility and patience, Iggy is going to drive those lessons home in a who

August 2019 update!

I have really put this poor little blog on the back burner this year, but there's actually been lots of great things happening! Iggy and I have made huge leaps forward this year in terms of balance for both of us. I am finding ways to stay softer in my hands and more supportive of his straightness that has really helped. Iggy has really gained so much strength in his canter and feels like a totally different horse. We still get changes behind, but it's no longer the defining point of the ride. We switch back and carry-on just fine. Iggy has attended 3 horseshows, and he has been wonderful. He has gotten progressively braver at each show in the warm-up, and I think he actually understands the drill now. He gets a bit excited and "takes over" a bit, but it's a great feeling to have a horse that wants to go! Although I am most thrilled about the huge boost in his confidence, his performance has been great too. He has won all of his classes, with only one score o