Skip to main content

Regionals Recap

So Gadget and I attended our first regional championship and it was great. The atmosphere felt like that of a big horse show and the quality of the horses was incredible. Lexington, Virginia was cool and crisp, and Gadget was very on edge when we arrived on Wednesday. He didn't really quite settle, but Kristin coached me through the ride and we got some good work.

On Thursday I rode 4-1 early in the morning and it felt like Gadget was still on edge. He was trying to be good, but he seemed to be waiting for a boogey man around the corner. I didn't feel like I had much rideability, but Gadget mostly held it together and his changes were really lovely. We won the class with a 64% I was perplexed as it didn't feel like a winning ride. In the afternoon, I rode 3-3, and felt like I had more rideability. I came out of the ring happier with the my ride, so I was perplexed when it only scored a 61% from the same judge that gave us the win in the morning. Gadget was having some uncharacteristic stiffness from a combination of the cold, standing on concrete, and no turnout, so he had a couple funky steps in each warm-up. I could feel that he wasn't as loose as usual and the rhythm in his canter wasn't as good as it has been, so I chalked it up to that.

I scratched my warm-up ride on Friday, and warmed up Gadget for his championship in a lovely outdoor ring and I felt like I had my horse back. He warmed up beautifully. I could feel that as soon as I got on that he was soft and ready to work. Still a little stiff, but his mind was in the right place. We went into our championship, and I swear he puffed up an entire hand trotting down center line! I really think that Gadget likes to show now. We went across the diagonal and I had such power the day before in the extended trot, so I put the pedal to the metal and, unfortunately, Gadget broke to canter. Such an amateur mistake on my part. Trying to finesse the changes, I gave a soft aid and Gadget was late on his left change. Very uncharacteristic mistakes, but overall, Gadget gave me a really great ride. I was so proud of him and proud that we made it so far this season. We ended up with a 63.5% and only missed going to the nationals by 1.5% points.





The last day of our championship, I rode 4-1 again for fun. Gadget felt a little spunky in the cool, windy weather. For the test, Gadget felt a bit strong in the bridle, very opinionated, and he clearly knows the test! It was not our best test as Gadget and I took turns jostling for control, but we ended up with a 61% and second place in good company. As usual, Hani's halo grew brighter and bigger for horseshowing with me in the cold for 4 days. I'm not sure what I did to deserve him, but gosh am I so lucky.







Now that regionals are over, we are officially done with third level and are diving into fourth level with both (all four? all six?) feet. The tempi changes are coming along, but are still not reliable. Just when I think that we've got it, I have a ride where I can't get a single line of 4s. As Gadget gets hotter off the leg, my timing is getting better, and we are starting to get more correct counts. The beginning of pirouettes feels well within reach, but I definitely need some serious coaching for these. I'm excited for our winter of training, and I am beginning to think of my goals for next year.

In other big news, I won the Dressage Foundation Carol Lavel Gifted Grant for Region 2! This grant will provide $1,000 that I can apply toward concentrated time spent getting lessons. I can't wait to put this to good use with Kristin Stein! If anyone can get us in shape for fourth level next year, it's her. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

New Near, New Goals - 2019!

NEW YEAR, NEW GOALS! I usually love reviewing my goals, progress and dreaming up new goals for the coming year, but this year was a tough one with the loss of my dear Gadget. I read a great set of articles on the Chronicle of the Horse by Matt Brown about how to shift your thinking about goal-setting. He makes the argument against fixed, outcome goals and to instead set more of "growth mindset," process-oriented goals.  And here's a link to the first article:  http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/a-case-for-not-focusing-on-your-goals-part-1  They are totally worth reading. I think dressage requires a strong focus on the "process" and I've always enjoyed thinking about the little things that build to success. However, I will totally admit to being outcome goal driven. I love setting specific score goals and even the goal of mastering a movement. Just as Gadget taught me lots of humility and patience, Iggy is going to drive those lessons home in a who

August 2019 update!

I have really put this poor little blog on the back burner this year, but there's actually been lots of great things happening! Iggy and I have made huge leaps forward this year in terms of balance for both of us. I am finding ways to stay softer in my hands and more supportive of his straightness that has really helped. Iggy has really gained so much strength in his canter and feels like a totally different horse. We still get changes behind, but it's no longer the defining point of the ride. We switch back and carry-on just fine. Iggy has attended 3 horseshows, and he has been wonderful. He has gotten progressively braver at each show in the warm-up, and I think he actually understands the drill now. He gets a bit excited and "takes over" a bit, but it's a great feeling to have a horse that wants to go! Although I am most thrilled about the huge boost in his confidence, his performance has been great too. He has won all of his classes, with only one score o