Skip to main content

Good Days, Bad Days

Gadget and I have been having a blast over the last month. I am consistently getting my series of three 4 tempies. When the stars align, we get 5 in a row of the four tempies. I have also been getting this really cool trot where Gadget has power, but also a some suspension. Each ride has been good. He has even felt a little hot to the leg, which is so fun!  Until this past Wednesday.

On Wednesday, I rode in the jumping ring after the dressage ring was flooded.  It has a slight grade, so we work on the slightly upward side, which is fairly well drained. We begin to warm up and it feels like Gadget is moving well but is just wanting to go. I also put him in the snaffle instead of the double, thinking this would be a good ride to play with the contact a bit. I go along with this and we boogy through walk, trot, and canter in warm-up mode. After a walk break, I am ready to go to work and ask for a little more engagement, throughness, and general attention. Gadget wants to barrel along. I try to bump him off of my hands, and he just sticks his nose in the air. I keep trying to find the power in his trot, but all that I get is speed. Then it gets worse. Every time I ask for a bit more trot, I get a canter. The bad part about this is how I handled it. Frustrated, I jerk him to a halt. We move into a trot, then he bounces into a canter. Most of our ride was this ugly pattern. I felt mad at myself for getting wrapped up into setting an expectation for the ride and not adjusting to the situation. Gadget is so good, and I didn't cut him a break when his mind wasn't in the game.

The next day, I trailered up to Robin's barn for a lesson with Pia. I was worried that I might have really set us up for failure due to the previous day's ride. However, when I got on, Gadget felt very honest off of my leg and reached right for the bit. We did a few minutes outside before it got dark, then we moved into the indoor. We worked on walk pirouettes while the lights warmed up. I need to ride them a little big and very active thinking of riding a haunches in, and being able to really ride the walk steps playing with inside and outside leg.

In the trot, Pia has me think of "riding him more over the outside." I am to stay soft on the outside rein and when I need to take a little more outside rein, I soften the inside rein and actually push him back and forth with my knees. I really like the concept of softening the opposite rein than you are going to take contact on.

We go a circle and do some forward and back .He should go really forward and come back softly. We then go on diagonal and ride in counter canter around the arena. I ride some counter-flexion in the counter canter, then we do the flying change. The counter canter in counter flexion really gets him straighter in both reins.

In the halfpass, I ride a 10 meter circle in the corner with the thought of staying soft on the outside. To the left, I stay soft on the outside rein, and just shift my weight, and ask him to stay forward and rhythmic moving over and not too sideways. To the right, I MUST NOT OVERBEND!! Surprise, surprise. He wants to lead with his haunches, so I need to think of not pushing the haunches at all. I just shift my weight, open the right rein, and think forward. The haunches will be there.

In trot, to fix the haunches leading, right a leg yield to the right and switch it into a halfpass to get the correct position.

In shoulder-in, put him in position, then be able to think slight renver. Being able to make changes in the shoulder-in is important, so you can adjust in the show ring without the horse being alarmed.

Overall, it was an amazing ride. Gadget felt really, really good. He was a touch spooky and full of himself, but he listened so intently. It was a cool combination. Hoping to get another lesson from Pia next week. It was a great boost to my confidence before regionals! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

New Near, New Goals - 2019!

NEW YEAR, NEW GOALS! I usually love reviewing my goals, progress and dreaming up new goals for the coming year, but this year was a tough one with the loss of my dear Gadget. I read a great set of articles on the Chronicle of the Horse by Matt Brown about how to shift your thinking about goal-setting. He makes the argument against fixed, outcome goals and to instead set more of "growth mindset," process-oriented goals.  And here's a link to the first article:  http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/a-case-for-not-focusing-on-your-goals-part-1  They are totally worth reading. I think dressage requires a strong focus on the "process" and I've always enjoyed thinking about the little things that build to success. However, I will totally admit to being outcome goal driven. I love setting specific score goals and even the goal of mastering a movement. Just as Gadget taught me lots of humility and patience, Iggy is going to drive those lessons home in a who

August 2019 update!

I have really put this poor little blog on the back burner this year, but there's actually been lots of great things happening! Iggy and I have made huge leaps forward this year in terms of balance for both of us. I am finding ways to stay softer in my hands and more supportive of his straightness that has really helped. Iggy has really gained so much strength in his canter and feels like a totally different horse. We still get changes behind, but it's no longer the defining point of the ride. We switch back and carry-on just fine. Iggy has attended 3 horseshows, and he has been wonderful. He has gotten progressively braver at each show in the warm-up, and I think he actually understands the drill now. He gets a bit excited and "takes over" a bit, but it's a great feeling to have a horse that wants to go! Although I am most thrilled about the huge boost in his confidence, his performance has been great too. He has won all of his classes, with only one score o