Skip to main content

WPDA Competition in Quentin, PA

In mid August, we headed to Quentin, PA for the WPDA competition. This time even Wilson, my very energetic labradoodle, got to make the trip. We had a fabulous weekend!

The weather was perfect and the footing in the competition rings was wonderful. Gadget warmed up so beautifully on Friday that I was afraid to do too much. On Saturday, I realized the warm-up ring has a fairly significant grade to it. Of course I am used to riding in the the jumping ring at my barn, which also has a grade, so I knew which movements are better schooled up the hill and what I can get away with schooling down the hill. Our first class was 3-3 in front of Judge Ida Norris, and we had a really solid test! In fact, we won the class with a 65% I was so pleased that we are finally able to put together a nice first test, as usually that is a throw away test for us. Our next test was 4-1 in front of Judge Vracko and we scored a 66% and high point at fourth level! To end day one with two blue ribbons and a high point ribbon, felt so amazing and I was so incredibly proud of my little horse.


The second day had a couple bobbles. I rode 3-1 for the first time this year, and I went off course. Despite that, we won the class with a 66% and then came in second in 3-3 with a 71%!! I couldn't believe we earned our third score in the 70s at third level!! Gadget felt very ridable in each test and we had a great weekend among our WPDA friends. Wilson was also a blast to have at the show. He carried his bell boot everywhere that he went, and enjoyed all of the attention from all of the competitors.

After this competition, Gadget and I were ranked 12th in the country for adult amateurs at third level! We are also leading the all breeds standings for the Performance Horse Registry. Again, it is all so surreal after all of our struggles.

We are now putting our focus on regionals in October. We both feel comfortable with the 3-3 test, but we still have some work to do on our turn on the haunches and some transitions if we want to really maximize points. I am thrilled to be going to regionals for the first time, but I now have a hunger to ride in an awards ceremony! I would love to finish in the top eight placings so we can take part in the victory gallop. That may be a bit over ambitious, and I certainly won't be too disappointed if it doesn't happen, but I can't help but set my sights high after how well Gadget has been going this season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

New Near, New Goals - 2019!

NEW YEAR, NEW GOALS! I usually love reviewing my goals, progress and dreaming up new goals for the coming year, but this year was a tough one with the loss of my dear Gadget. I read a great set of articles on the Chronicle of the Horse by Matt Brown about how to shift your thinking about goal-setting. He makes the argument against fixed, outcome goals and to instead set more of "growth mindset," process-oriented goals.  And here's a link to the first article:  http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/a-case-for-not-focusing-on-your-goals-part-1  They are totally worth reading. I think dressage requires a strong focus on the "process" and I've always enjoyed thinking about the little things that build to success. However, I will totally admit to being outcome goal driven. I love setting specific score goals and even the goal of mastering a movement. Just as Gadget taught me lots of humility and patience, Iggy is going to drive those lessons home in a who

August 2019 update!

I have really put this poor little blog on the back burner this year, but there's actually been lots of great things happening! Iggy and I have made huge leaps forward this year in terms of balance for both of us. I am finding ways to stay softer in my hands and more supportive of his straightness that has really helped. Iggy has really gained so much strength in his canter and feels like a totally different horse. We still get changes behind, but it's no longer the defining point of the ride. We switch back and carry-on just fine. Iggy has attended 3 horseshows, and he has been wonderful. He has gotten progressively braver at each show in the warm-up, and I think he actually understands the drill now. He gets a bit excited and "takes over" a bit, but it's a great feeling to have a horse that wants to go! Although I am most thrilled about the huge boost in his confidence, his performance has been great too. He has won all of his classes, with only one score o