Skip to main content

March - in like a lion, out like a lamb?

I haven't written for some time and, really, I  have had so many breakthroughs over the last couple months that I can't believe I haven't been writing about all of them! My last clinic with Kenny was good and bad. I got kicked in the knee as soon as we arrived, and I could not ride Friday evening. However, watching Kenny ride Gadget so lightly yet so round and uphill was a great education in itself. I sucked it up and rode the next two days and really tried to carry the softness into my rides. We worked on the 4s and I am finally getting good changes! Everything felt good, but the pain was not good. The doctor later confirmed that I have a lateral tibia plateau compression fracture and a strained MCL. Both are sore every day, and I am not allowed to ride for another month. Boo! Hiss!

Before I was injured, I really felt huge improvement in the canter and trot halfpasses. My trot halfpasses require that I actually soften on the outside rein to allow the bend. This made an amazing difference in my left trot halfpass. In the right trot halfpass, I think I need to actually soften on the outside, but ask for the bend with the inside as well.

In the canter halfpass, Gadget really flows to the right as long as I don't override it. To the left, I bend him and then keep moving his haunches over. In my last ride, they both felt awesome.

As for contact, I am really keeping it looser and more playful, but I bump him up with little halfhalts. This is working much better.

Kenny explained that rather than schooling the canter pirouettes, I need to school the pirouette canter and how to control it. On the smallish circle to the right, he worked on putting Gadget's hindquarters to the inside, but not allowing him to swing his shoulders around. To the left, it's really about teaching him to take small steps with his haunches to the inside. Then schooling a quarter turn allows me to still have control. The halfpasses after schooling the pirouettes feel really amazing.

While I am recovering, Gadget is going to Kristin's for a month of training. I know that he will feel amazing when I get him home, but I am really sad to be side-lined while Gadget and I were really starting to click!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

2014 - New Year, New Goals

This past year was a great year for me and Gadget. Although we had our ups and downs, I've learned a lot this year. We made our third level debut, earned our bronze medal in only two shows, improved the flying changes dramatically, and earned Champion for Adult Amateurs at third level in my GMO.  For 2014, I have several goals: Keep Gadget's back feeling good. I think I have found a good combo of chiro, shoeing, saddle fit, and vet maintenance to prevent him from getting sore rather than waiting until he's in pain. Hopefully it works this year. Continue improving Third Leve l. Last year was a great intro to third level, but I am finally learning to ride Gadget more uphill, which is improving everything. This year I want to try 3-2 and 3-3. The canter-halfpass is still tough for us, but it's looking better. I am going to work to fix things that are easy points -- halts, turn on the haunches, transitions, and good centerlines. I am going to focus on the quality o...

Michael Bragdell Clinic

So I have been having an amazing summer of lessons with Ryan Yap. He really helped me feel how to collect and energize the canter, which has been the biggest challenge. He also made huge improvements in my halfpasses and helped develop more suspension in Gadget's trot. Writing these things make it sound easy, but it has taken years to get to a point where Ryan could work on these things with us. As he said, we were finally ready. So when Ryan's clinic date changed to one that conflicted with the Michael Bragdell clinic, I was so disappointed. It would have been awesome to have back-to-back weekends of clinics with those two. But I will have to wait until the spring to work with Ryan again.  As for the Michael Bragdell clinic, it was really quite amazing. I typically don't have the highest hopes for lessons when someone is seeing me and Gadget for the first time. We have lots of little issues going on and it sometimes takes a little time figure out the right way to a...