Skip to main content

Not all Trainers are Created Equal

I am two weeks away from my first show of the season, and I have not shown my 3-3 test to anyone yet. Feeling a bit nervous about this, I contacted a local trainer back from Florida to see if she could work with me a couple times this weekend to help me improve my test. The lesson was very frustrating and very discouraging. I think I have been very fortunate to ride with some really talented trainers who are also great communicators (namely Kenny, Kristin, and Ryan). These trainers have a way of making even very challenging rides feel positive and upbeat. It's some sort of magic that they know just the ride words and exercises to transform Gadget in each lesson into a better horse than the day before. Even when I fail to get an exercise, I feel that each of them is quick to praise the right reaction and encourage me that we will get it.

Yesterday, Gadget actually felt good in the warm up. However, he felt worse as the lesson went on and we weren't able to really supple or work through any forward exercises. Also, I was surprised that the trainer basically had a very negative view of my riding and said she didn't think I'd be able to move Gadget up without some serious work. During the lesson, we did a lot of standing and listening and very little riding. After the lesson there were many other negative digs that rattled through my head all day yesterday. I had planned and scheduled to ride Saturday and Sunday with her, but last night I decided that there is no use getting beat up again without any help to improve, so I cancelled.

I was genuinely surprised to receive such a negative lesson. As we started the lesson, I explained many of my position challenges and my riding challenges with Gadget. I was quick to offer that my left leg is too far back and right leg too far forward. I tend to become too immobile on the right rein. My right arm has a mind of its own that I am trying to fix. Meanwhile I explained that Gadget's canter is a real challenge for me and I have a hard time getting the correct uphill feel. However, when other trainers point out these problems, they do so in a constructive manner. It's hard to describe the difference, but I could really feel the difference yesterday. 

I think there are some trainers and students that just don't click. It's not worth letting someone steal my joy and confidence for a lesson. I think I am going to stick with videoing some of my rides at home prior to the show to try to fine tune some of our work. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

2014 - New Year, New Goals

This past year was a great year for me and Gadget. Although we had our ups and downs, I've learned a lot this year. We made our third level debut, earned our bronze medal in only two shows, improved the flying changes dramatically, and earned Champion for Adult Amateurs at third level in my GMO.  For 2014, I have several goals: Keep Gadget's back feeling good. I think I have found a good combo of chiro, shoeing, saddle fit, and vet maintenance to prevent him from getting sore rather than waiting until he's in pain. Hopefully it works this year. Continue improving Third Leve l. Last year was a great intro to third level, but I am finally learning to ride Gadget more uphill, which is improving everything. This year I want to try 3-2 and 3-3. The canter-halfpass is still tough for us, but it's looking better. I am going to work to fix things that are easy points -- halts, turn on the haunches, transitions, and good centerlines. I am going to focus on the quality o...

Michael Bragdell Clinic

So I have been having an amazing summer of lessons with Ryan Yap. He really helped me feel how to collect and energize the canter, which has been the biggest challenge. He also made huge improvements in my halfpasses and helped develop more suspension in Gadget's trot. Writing these things make it sound easy, but it has taken years to get to a point where Ryan could work on these things with us. As he said, we were finally ready. So when Ryan's clinic date changed to one that conflicted with the Michael Bragdell clinic, I was so disappointed. It would have been awesome to have back-to-back weekends of clinics with those two. But I will have to wait until the spring to work with Ryan again.  As for the Michael Bragdell clinic, it was really quite amazing. I typically don't have the highest hopes for lessons when someone is seeing me and Gadget for the first time. We have lots of little issues going on and it sometimes takes a little time figure out the right way to a...