Skip to main content

Not all Trainers are Created Equal

I am two weeks away from my first show of the season, and I have not shown my 3-3 test to anyone yet. Feeling a bit nervous about this, I contacted a local trainer back from Florida to see if she could work with me a couple times this weekend to help me improve my test. The lesson was very frustrating and very discouraging. I think I have been very fortunate to ride with some really talented trainers who are also great communicators (namely Kenny, Kristin, and Ryan). These trainers have a way of making even very challenging rides feel positive and upbeat. It's some sort of magic that they know just the ride words and exercises to transform Gadget in each lesson into a better horse than the day before. Even when I fail to get an exercise, I feel that each of them is quick to praise the right reaction and encourage me that we will get it.

Yesterday, Gadget actually felt good in the warm up. However, he felt worse as the lesson went on and we weren't able to really supple or work through any forward exercises. Also, I was surprised that the trainer basically had a very negative view of my riding and said she didn't think I'd be able to move Gadget up without some serious work. During the lesson, we did a lot of standing and listening and very little riding. After the lesson there were many other negative digs that rattled through my head all day yesterday. I had planned and scheduled to ride Saturday and Sunday with her, but last night I decided that there is no use getting beat up again without any help to improve, so I cancelled.

I was genuinely surprised to receive such a negative lesson. As we started the lesson, I explained many of my position challenges and my riding challenges with Gadget. I was quick to offer that my left leg is too far back and right leg too far forward. I tend to become too immobile on the right rein. My right arm has a mind of its own that I am trying to fix. Meanwhile I explained that Gadget's canter is a real challenge for me and I have a hard time getting the correct uphill feel. However, when other trainers point out these problems, they do so in a constructive manner. It's hard to describe the difference, but I could really feel the difference yesterday. 

I think there are some trainers and students that just don't click. It's not worth letting someone steal my joy and confidence for a lesson. I think I am going to stick with videoing some of my rides at home prior to the show to try to fine tune some of our work. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

New Near, New Goals - 2019!

NEW YEAR, NEW GOALS! I usually love reviewing my goals, progress and dreaming up new goals for the coming year, but this year was a tough one with the loss of my dear Gadget. I read a great set of articles on the Chronicle of the Horse by Matt Brown about how to shift your thinking about goal-setting. He makes the argument against fixed, outcome goals and to instead set more of "growth mindset," process-oriented goals.  And here's a link to the first article:  http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/a-case-for-not-focusing-on-your-goals-part-1  They are totally worth reading. I think dressage requires a strong focus on the "process" and I've always enjoyed thinking about the little things that build to success. However, I will totally admit to being outcome goal driven. I love setting specific score goals and even the goal of mastering a movement. Just as Gadget taught me lots of humility and patience, Iggy is going to drive those lessons home in a who

August 2019 update!

I have really put this poor little blog on the back burner this year, but there's actually been lots of great things happening! Iggy and I have made huge leaps forward this year in terms of balance for both of us. I am finding ways to stay softer in my hands and more supportive of his straightness that has really helped. Iggy has really gained so much strength in his canter and feels like a totally different horse. We still get changes behind, but it's no longer the defining point of the ride. We switch back and carry-on just fine. Iggy has attended 3 horseshows, and he has been wonderful. He has gotten progressively braver at each show in the warm-up, and I think he actually understands the drill now. He gets a bit excited and "takes over" a bit, but it's a great feeling to have a horse that wants to go! Although I am most thrilled about the huge boost in his confidence, his performance has been great too. He has won all of his classes, with only one score o