Skip to main content

Yay! Good rides!

I finally feel like I am getting back into the swing of things. Last week Gadget was acting sluggish and generally unenthused about any of his work - even his changes, which always perks him up. This week, we are both working so much better. I put him back in the double and decided to really work on getting him more uphill. I, unfortunately, can't really tell whether we look like a saddlebred or a dressage horse, but it feels better. I figure I can always make him a bit rounder once he learns to carry his own head. He still likes a lot of contact in the snaffle, but about halfway through the rides, he becomes softer and more through.

I've been able to work him outside the last couple days, which makes all the difference in the world for both of us. Yesterday, he was full of himself and he basically blew through my aids. I was sharing the ring with a hunter rider, two ladies picking stones from the ring, and about 15 jumps. I decided it wasn't the day to pick a fight. So we cruised around and Gadget jumped rails on the ground like they were jumps.

Today, Gadget was full of himself again, despite this being the 5th day in work out of the last 6 days. I love that he has all of this energy. Hopefully it sticks around. I tried to take advantage of the extra pep in his stride and rode some collected canter into haunches in on the circle with the idea of developing a working pirouette. I have no idea how to move his shoulders around and keep haunches from swinging, but we're working on it. We then moved into changes. The jumping ring is huge, so I have a long line to practice. I can get four changes on the long side easily. Recently, it's as though Gadget was surprised every time I asked for another change although we've been practicing this routine for a  couple weeks. Today, for the first time, he seemed to get it. The light bulb finally came on and after the first change, I felt him begin to anticipate the next one and waited for the aid. It was awesome! (Of course, this was after majorly getting after him on the first line of changes where he wanted to just yeehaw.) Nonetheless, this was progress. I can't count the strides between the changes yet, but the changes are roughly 4-5 changes apart. Getting 4's is on the list for the summer.

Canter halfpass felt fine, nothing special. The ring doesn't have a good line for them with all of the jumps, so I didn't dwell on them. Trot halfpasses felt really good and flowing. He also actually stayed pretty happy in the contact. I did a couple zigzags and moved on.

In the double, I feel like I am better with my hands. I don't know why I can't stop pulling on the right rein when in the snaffle, but I feel steadier in the double. For now, I am sticking with the double (I also wore my smooth rowel spurs successfully today, which I typically hate) with the goal of actually showing in the double this year.

If I decide to show in the double, I am finally going to splurge on a nice one - looking at the Kieffer Silvie. (and maybe a blingy browband). God, it feels to good to have a couple good rides in a row. Now I need to make some show plans. . . 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

New Near, New Goals - 2019!

NEW YEAR, NEW GOALS! I usually love reviewing my goals, progress and dreaming up new goals for the coming year, but this year was a tough one with the loss of my dear Gadget. I read a great set of articles on the Chronicle of the Horse by Matt Brown about how to shift your thinking about goal-setting. He makes the argument against fixed, outcome goals and to instead set more of "growth mindset," process-oriented goals.  And here's a link to the first article:  http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/a-case-for-not-focusing-on-your-goals-part-1  They are totally worth reading. I think dressage requires a strong focus on the "process" and I've always enjoyed thinking about the little things that build to success. However, I will totally admit to being outcome goal driven. I love setting specific score goals and even the goal of mastering a movement. Just as Gadget taught me lots of humility and patience, Iggy is going to drive those lessons home in a who

August 2019 update!

I have really put this poor little blog on the back burner this year, but there's actually been lots of great things happening! Iggy and I have made huge leaps forward this year in terms of balance for both of us. I am finding ways to stay softer in my hands and more supportive of his straightness that has really helped. Iggy has really gained so much strength in his canter and feels like a totally different horse. We still get changes behind, but it's no longer the defining point of the ride. We switch back and carry-on just fine. Iggy has attended 3 horseshows, and he has been wonderful. He has gotten progressively braver at each show in the warm-up, and I think he actually understands the drill now. He gets a bit excited and "takes over" a bit, but it's a great feeling to have a horse that wants to go! Although I am most thrilled about the huge boost in his confidence, his performance has been great too. He has won all of his classes, with only one score o