Skip to main content

2014 - New Year, New Goals

This past year was a great year for me and Gadget. Although we had our ups and downs, I've learned a lot this year. We made our third level debut, earned our bronze medal in only two shows, improved the flying changes dramatically, and earned Champion for Adult Amateurs at third level in my GMO. 

For 2014, I have several goals:
  1. Keep Gadget's back feeling good. I think I have found a good combo of chiro, shoeing, saddle fit, and vet maintenance to prevent him from getting sore rather than waiting until he's in pain. Hopefully it works this year.
  2. Continue improving Third Level. Last year was a great intro to third level, but I am finally learning to ride Gadget more uphill, which is improving everything. This year I want to try 3-2 and 3-3. The canter-halfpass is still tough for us, but it's looking better. I am going to work to fix things that are easy points -- halts, turn on the haunches, transitions, and good centerlines. I am going to focus on the quality of my rides and not beat myself over scores. The collected canter is getting better, but Gadget can only improve if I learn to stay out of his way and help him stay balanced.
  3. Become more skilled at using the double bridle. Gadget has always been fussy in the bridle, but I am learning to keep my aids quieter to keep his mouth quieter. I want to be able to keep him happy in the double bridle as well. (And maybe buy him a pretty new double bridle!)
  4. Work on improving my position. I need to sit more balanced (stop leaning off to the left). I also need to keep my leg forward at the girth. The right leg needs more bend and to stay back and under. 
  5. Dream of Fourth Level. When I bought Gadget, I wanted to get him to second level. Then I thought I might sell him. I actually thought of selling him every month of the first three years I owned him. I had no idea what I was doing with a young warmblood and I made a mess of teaching him about contact, forward, and dressage in general. After finding my trainers Ryan, Kristin, and eventually Kenny, I have learned so much and we have improved by leaps and bounds. This is not to say we are anything special, but we are so much better than we used to be! Although Fourth Level may not be a realistic goal, I'm going to just let myself to dream of fourth level and play with pieces of it in our good rides. Dream big.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

Michael Bragdell Clinic

So I have been having an amazing summer of lessons with Ryan Yap. He really helped me feel how to collect and energize the canter, which has been the biggest challenge. He also made huge improvements in my halfpasses and helped develop more suspension in Gadget's trot. Writing these things make it sound easy, but it has taken years to get to a point where Ryan could work on these things with us. As he said, we were finally ready. So when Ryan's clinic date changed to one that conflicted with the Michael Bragdell clinic, I was so disappointed. It would have been awesome to have back-to-back weekends of clinics with those two. But I will have to wait until the spring to work with Ryan again.  As for the Michael Bragdell clinic, it was really quite amazing. I typically don't have the highest hopes for lessons when someone is seeing me and Gadget for the first time. We have lots of little issues going on and it sometimes takes a little time figure out the right way to a...