Skip to main content

March 29-30 Clinic with Kenny

This past weekend, I rode with Kenny again. He has such a great skill of communicating things in a simple and understandable way. He also gives constant feedback through an exercise, so I can feel when something is going well or not. Love him!

Gadget felt great this time. I have really been working on doing lots of long and low in my rides to strengthen and loosen his back. I think it is making a difference. Kenny remarked that he seemed much looser and swinging in his movement. Success!

Kenny also said I have made great improvement in my position-- sitting up and with the movement. Yay!

Also, one of the highlights from the clinic was that I actually did two flying changes on one centerline. The right to left change was late, but we're working on fixing that. I was still totally over the moon!


Now, here are the teaching highlights from my lessons:

Position:
  • Must continue to stay sitting up and keeping my chest up.
  • Need to work on keeping my knees and thighs on the saddle.
  • Keep your elbows by you side (especially in canter)!
  • After wrestling with my left hand issue for the last two years, Kenny now pointed out that I need to make sure that I am softening my right hand, especially in the canter. I need more squeeze and release in the right hand.
  • Don't collapse, particularly the left shoulder/hip.
  • Tracking right, make sure you bring left hip higher in rising trot.
Trot:
  • Let shoulders lead in the legyields. Don't overuse outside halfhalt.
  • In warm-up, use trot serpetines to get him evenly accepting the contact. Focus especially on changing bend from left to right to maintain the rhythm, keep left hand low, and change the diagonal in rising trot.
  • When Gadget pulls down in the bridle at the trot, get out of the saddle quicker or bounce more in sitting trot. (Not exactly how this works yet, but I'll play with it.)
  • In lengthened trot, make sure to lift the left hand to get the left hind stepping under. Also, school it on short diagonal with a 10M circle at B or E, then do another short diagonal. Also, don’t push him past his balance and lose the rhythm.
  • In trot halfpass, move your body weight in the direction of movement.
Canter:
  • At canter, make sure to keep elbows in and knees on the saddle. To the right in canter, must keep right leg on and active. He is more likely to four-beat to the right, so must keep that side active!
  • In counter canter, keep inside hand (of the bend) up. Also, when transitioning to walk, don’t drop your hands. Keep him up in the walk.
  • In simple changes, maintain the bend of the lead through the transition to walk (especially in the right lead, keep the right bend. Don’t let him get crooked). Practice serpentice with simple change across center, but wait until the second quarter line to do the transition. Tap him with the whip leading up to the transition.
  • To improve reactivity in walk/canter and flying changes, you can one of two things:
    • Ask nicely for canter with outside leg back and inside at girth. The moment he hesitates, slide the outside leg and spur forward. It will goose him to get his hanuches under.
    • Alternatively, once you have asked nicely with outside leg, really get after him with the inside leg.
Flying Changes:
  • Before right to leg change, tap him with the whip on the left side leading up to the change.
  • Sit tall in canter, and swing the hips forward.
  • In counter canter, make sure to sit evenly. I tend to fall off on one side or the other, which only makes him more crooked.
  • In canter, hold the inside hand a bit high of the lead you are on. Also, sit on the opposite cheek.
  • For the right to left change REV HIM UP, DON’T SET HIM UP! To make him learn to jump through with the hind end, have to push him more rather than collect him. Let him lunge through it. (Drag the spur forward to goose him).
  • After the change to the right lead, bring both hands to the right. It moves his shoulders in and he automatically collects and stays active in the right hind.
  • Focus on fixing the right to left change (which is usually late), and don't school the left to right too much since it is so easy and confirmed.


Canter Halfpass:
  • Exercise: Canter halfpass, flying change, then trot and trot halfpass.
  • Make the canter smaller. Do not worry about getting over. Keep him active!
  • Open the outside rein, and it will make his outside hind cross over in the halfpass. Can use this in canter and trot. Tap him behind on the same side you are opening and holding.
  • To keep Gadget from bobbing in the right canter halfpass, activate with the right leg more.
  • Incorporate shoulder-in between the canter-half pass to get him more active.
  • Also, keep more contact in the right rein by lifting him up in the right halfpass.
I am now trying to figure out my summer show schedule. I may try a schooling show in may to see how third level feels. Then I'll decide whether to show 2nd or 3rd level at the recognized show in June. I'm excited about our progress and looking forward to the summer!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

New Near, New Goals - 2019!

NEW YEAR, NEW GOALS! I usually love reviewing my goals, progress and dreaming up new goals for the coming year, but this year was a tough one with the loss of my dear Gadget. I read a great set of articles on the Chronicle of the Horse by Matt Brown about how to shift your thinking about goal-setting. He makes the argument against fixed, outcome goals and to instead set more of "growth mindset," process-oriented goals.  And here's a link to the first article:  http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/a-case-for-not-focusing-on-your-goals-part-1  They are totally worth reading. I think dressage requires a strong focus on the "process" and I've always enjoyed thinking about the little things that build to success. However, I will totally admit to being outcome goal driven. I love setting specific score goals and even the goal of mastering a movement. Just as Gadget taught me lots of humility and patience, Iggy is going to drive those lessons home in a who

August 2019 update!

I have really put this poor little blog on the back burner this year, but there's actually been lots of great things happening! Iggy and I have made huge leaps forward this year in terms of balance for both of us. I am finding ways to stay softer in my hands and more supportive of his straightness that has really helped. Iggy has really gained so much strength in his canter and feels like a totally different horse. We still get changes behind, but it's no longer the defining point of the ride. We switch back and carry-on just fine. Iggy has attended 3 horseshows, and he has been wonderful. He has gotten progressively braver at each show in the warm-up, and I think he actually understands the drill now. He gets a bit excited and "takes over" a bit, but it's a great feeling to have a horse that wants to go! Although I am most thrilled about the huge boost in his confidence, his performance has been great too. He has won all of his classes, with only one score o