Skip to main content

November 6, 2012

Sometimes I feel like the progress is so slow that I can barely tell the difference from year to year or month to month. Yet, every now and then, I have a ride where I finally FEEL the difference I have been trying to achieve. Tonight was one of those rides.

I have been riding in the indoor arena, and the last couple rides have felt very underwhelming. Overall, I have struggled to get Gadget truly in front of my leg, which means I never quite got him through his back and soft in the bridle. It wasn't horrible work, but it wasn't great -- particularly in the canter.

Tonight, I went in with the goal to MAKE IT HAPPEN. Whatever I asked, I was going to make it happen, quickly. After a bit of forward walk, I asked for the trot. It felt sleepy and sloppy, so I immediately gave him a couple strong gooses with the leg/spur and got him moving. His head popped up, but I just kept asking for more. Then with a bit of soft counter-flexions and true flexions, he rounded and started trotting through his back. Voila! We moved onto the canter, and I sent him forward again. I struggled to get the correct contact to the left, as usual. More flexions left and right and it felt slightly better. I threw in a couple changes to try to rev the engine, and we began to make some progress. A bit of baby halfpass right felt okay, half pass left felt labored and stuck. After a couple attempts at left halfpass, it was obvious that I needed to ride him more forward and get him to actually use his back and soften his neck. With that in mind, a few walk/canter transitions helped to get him moving off the leg better and bit of yeehaw/medium canter finally had him reaching for the bit in the canter. It had the feeling of when a horse really reaches under itself in a gallop and reaches with its neck. Whenever Gadget started to lose that rhythmic, round feeling, I gave him a solid kick and we were back in business. The left baby halfpass then actually felt not so bad. It doesn't have much bend, but the idea is there. We have a foundation on which to build. In that same canter, the 10 meter circles felt pretty good too.

After unlocking his back, the trot lateral work felt good. When Gadget started to hang on a rein, I flexed and sent him a bit forward. He finally felt like he was carrying himself in this lovely round frame and let me move him from shoulder-in to haunches-in, and shoulder-in to halfpass. The shoulder-in to renver can still get a little sticky, but it's improving too.

All in all, getting that loose, forward, reactive feeling in the canter is something I need to remember every ride, especially  while riding in the indoor arena. When I put on my leg, I need to feel him immediately reach underneath himself and then know to keep the contact even and alive to encourage the active canter. I also need to remember that with enough patience and time, all of the little adjustments finally come together for visible progress.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

2014 - New Year, New Goals

This past year was a great year for me and Gadget. Although we had our ups and downs, I've learned a lot this year. We made our third level debut, earned our bronze medal in only two shows, improved the flying changes dramatically, and earned Champion for Adult Amateurs at third level in my GMO.  For 2014, I have several goals: Keep Gadget's back feeling good. I think I have found a good combo of chiro, shoeing, saddle fit, and vet maintenance to prevent him from getting sore rather than waiting until he's in pain. Hopefully it works this year. Continue improving Third Leve l. Last year was a great intro to third level, but I am finally learning to ride Gadget more uphill, which is improving everything. This year I want to try 3-2 and 3-3. The canter-halfpass is still tough for us, but it's looking better. I am going to work to fix things that are easy points -- halts, turn on the haunches, transitions, and good centerlines. I am going to focus on the quality o...

Michael Bragdell Clinic

So I have been having an amazing summer of lessons with Ryan Yap. He really helped me feel how to collect and energize the canter, which has been the biggest challenge. He also made huge improvements in my halfpasses and helped develop more suspension in Gadget's trot. Writing these things make it sound easy, but it has taken years to get to a point where Ryan could work on these things with us. As he said, we were finally ready. So when Ryan's clinic date changed to one that conflicted with the Michael Bragdell clinic, I was so disappointed. It would have been awesome to have back-to-back weekends of clinics with those two. But I will have to wait until the spring to work with Ryan again.  As for the Michael Bragdell clinic, it was really quite amazing. I typically don't have the highest hopes for lessons when someone is seeing me and Gadget for the first time. We have lots of little issues going on and it sometimes takes a little time figure out the right way to a...