Skip to main content

Iggy goes to Hilltop

So I managed to win 2 lessons at Hilltop in a charity auction. I've ridden with Michael in clinics and have enjoyed the lessons so much. Having seen him work with young horses, I knew he would be fantastic to help me with Iggy.

Hani trekked the 5 hours to Hilltop in the freezing and snowy December weather with me. The main barn was full, so we stabled at the breeding barn. It's on top of a hill and there is a small bridle path down the hill to get to the main barn. With a fresh coating of snow, it was a beautiful walk. And the barn itself was beautiful and airy.






Iggy handled the slick walk and the giant, new arena with total aplomb. He walked in and I could feel that he was looking around, but he went right to work. My heart was bursting with pride.

In the first lesson, Michael watched me warm up a bit and then very quickly zeroed in on our issues. I was riding Iggy in a working trot with a fairly stretchy frame. The rhythm felt good and Iggy felt swingy, but I did not have him in my hand. Michael encouraged me to ask for more push in the trot until I had enough trot to form a connection back to front. This clicked. It does not require that Iggy give me his biggest trot, but it has to be enough to that he gives me some feeling in my hand. In the canter, I told Michael that I get some changes with Iggy. Michael encouraged me to get in and out of the canter before Iggy can lose his balance. Also, get him pushing to the hand and steady the outside hand and soften the inside hand. (One day I will learn to do this.)  For the canter, Michael said he likes to have a spot that the horses associate with cantering. So on a 20 meter circle, on the open side, just past the centerline, that is the "canter spot." Iggy was to canter in that quarter, not before. We would then canter a circle and maybe a longside and diagonal. The key was not to keep cantering, but to maintain a quality canter and focus on the transitions. This is how I've been schooling it with Ryan, so this was a good confirmation. I was also to pick it up from posting trot instead of sitting. We played with a bit of legyield, allowing his shoulders to lead, but really asking him to push with the inside hind.



 Finally, Michael asked me to show him what I've been doing in hand with Iggy. Without going into a lot of detail, I was so nervous that I was not really able to show Michael anything even though I've worked with him to pick up his inside hind from a touch of the whip.

Michael then proceeded to show me the in hand work that he uses to engage a young horse and teach them how to use their bodies. He first asks the horse to give its jaw to slight pressure and then to follow its head around to the side with some bend. Then he teaches the horse to step under and over with its inside hind from some "pressure" from body language and tap with the bamboo stick if necessary. Eventually, he moves to teaching the horse to lift and hold the left hind from a tap or cluck. Here is a clip:

 The second day I had a better feel of the energy and balance that I needed. For the canter, Michael reminded me to ride from the outside rein and not too much inside. Really keeping his shoulders straight makes such a difference. He also said not to ride the biggest canter, even though its so fun. Make sure that I have him stepping up and under.

Also, when Iggy spooked at a tractor in the corner, Michael advised to take the pressure off near the spooky object. Trot a circle and then when directly beside the spooky object, walk for a few steps so the relaxation is near the spooky object. Genius!

Overall, Michael said that Iggy has a really nice way in using his hind end. He also said that he has a great brain and is reactive but not over-reactive. It was such music to my ears. These are certainly not things that I've ever heard about Gadget! It was a wonderful two days of lessons and great start to my winter of schooling and strengthening.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

New Near, New Goals - 2019!

NEW YEAR, NEW GOALS! I usually love reviewing my goals, progress and dreaming up new goals for the coming year, but this year was a tough one with the loss of my dear Gadget. I read a great set of articles on the Chronicle of the Horse by Matt Brown about how to shift your thinking about goal-setting. He makes the argument against fixed, outcome goals and to instead set more of "growth mindset," process-oriented goals.  And here's a link to the first article:  http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/a-case-for-not-focusing-on-your-goals-part-1  They are totally worth reading. I think dressage requires a strong focus on the "process" and I've always enjoyed thinking about the little things that build to success. However, I will totally admit to being outcome goal driven. I love setting specific score goals and even the goal of mastering a movement. Just as Gadget taught me lots of humility and patience, Iggy is going to drive those lessons home in a who

August 2019 update!

I have really put this poor little blog on the back burner this year, but there's actually been lots of great things happening! Iggy and I have made huge leaps forward this year in terms of balance for both of us. I am finding ways to stay softer in my hands and more supportive of his straightness that has really helped. Iggy has really gained so much strength in his canter and feels like a totally different horse. We still get changes behind, but it's no longer the defining point of the ride. We switch back and carry-on just fine. Iggy has attended 3 horseshows, and he has been wonderful. He has gotten progressively braver at each show in the warm-up, and I think he actually understands the drill now. He gets a bit excited and "takes over" a bit, but it's a great feeling to have a horse that wants to go! Although I am most thrilled about the huge boost in his confidence, his performance has been great too. He has won all of his classes, with only one score o