Skip to main content

November Ryan Clinic -- End of the Season! -- Part 1: Gadget

It was a bitter sweet clinic as it was the last time we will see Ryan until next Spring. It's amazing the progress that both horses have made this year.

1. Gadget

Over the last month, I'd tried to make Gadget more responsive to my leg in an attempt to get him a bit hotter for the twos. Last weekend, I had a couple great rides where Gadget was getting the twos relatively easily. Then, he didn't want to let me catch him from the field. I decided a couple days off were warranted since he hasn't been that skittish in the field in years. On Wednesday I rode him and he felt like crap. The canter felt like it had no life, so I put him away and hoped it was just an off day. By Friday, I felt like Gadget was feeling much improved.

Our ride on Saturday, Gadget felt pretty good but he did not want to keep the activity in the collection. So we focused on riding movements that would loosen him -- haunches in on a circle in canter, big sweeping and forward canter halfpasses, lines of threes and fours (perfect counts on the first try! woohoo!). These are all movements that don't require much sit from him. It was a good schooling ride for me to remember how to still make progress on days when Gadget may need a lighter load. After the ride, it dawned on me that I rode without my whip and I wondered if Gadget was a bit backed off because of that. Not sure.

On Sunday, Gadget felt much more with the program. He warmed up nicely and I could tell from the first canter that we were going to have better success. After loosening in the walk, trot and canter, we gave him a little walk break before returning to the canter. We worked on some forward and back and really keeping him more honestly stepping up in the shoulders in the collected canter. He willingly collected, so we did some steeper canter halfpasses and counter canter. We then moved on to the threes and twos. They went fairly well. I had some mistakes in some of the attempts but overall a huge improvement from last month. To my surprise, Ryan then said, go try two one tempis. I've played with these with Gadget for more than a year, but not recently. In my first request of Gadget, he did two one-tempis perfectly. Ryan said to to do two, then a few strides then do two more. That is harder than it sounds, so we had some unsuccessful attempts after. We finished with a couple good "flip flops." Ryan explained that in a horse that doesn't have the strongest canter, it can be hard to tie them together as it takes a lot of strength. He also said it's not uncommon to get a good couple ones, and then have trouble. He said sometimes horses think they made a mistake and you made them change back to the original lead. I'll have to be very clear with my praising of Gadget

We then did some of the pirouette work in the shape of a triangle. It's a little more than a quarter pirouette, but not quite as much as the half. Ryan seemed really pleased with this work. Gadget stayed more on the spot and sitting, especially to the right. To the left, he was sitting and staying on the spot, but I felt like the canter was on life support so I was over-riding him. I need to be able to sit there and let him canter around with feeling the need to curl forward.

Finally, we did some trot work -- halfpasses (felt good today) and lots of little trot to big trot. The key for this is to keep a good rhythm and not let it get quick. In the bridle it helps me to think of actually  pushing both hands a bit forward and back to give Gadget a bit of rhythm in the reins. He seems to soften and get more cadence in the trot in a different way when I do this. We finished by getting Gadget into his smallest trot and doing turns on a square in that tiny trot. Ryan explained this will help strength each hind leg as it can't avoid carrying in those little turns. Hopefully this will eventually help build strength for half step work. And Ryan ended by saying, once again, there's still more in there. My little Gadget has come so far and it's amazing to think we are actually playing with all of the movement I once only dreamed about riding. It's such an amazing feeling and I am so, so grateful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

New Near, New Goals - 2019!

NEW YEAR, NEW GOALS! I usually love reviewing my goals, progress and dreaming up new goals for the coming year, but this year was a tough one with the loss of my dear Gadget. I read a great set of articles on the Chronicle of the Horse by Matt Brown about how to shift your thinking about goal-setting. He makes the argument against fixed, outcome goals and to instead set more of "growth mindset," process-oriented goals.  And here's a link to the first article:  http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/a-case-for-not-focusing-on-your-goals-part-1  They are totally worth reading. I think dressage requires a strong focus on the "process" and I've always enjoyed thinking about the little things that build to success. However, I will totally admit to being outcome goal driven. I love setting specific score goals and even the goal of mastering a movement. Just as Gadget taught me lots of humility and patience, Iggy is going to drive those lessons home in a who

August 2019 update!

I have really put this poor little blog on the back burner this year, but there's actually been lots of great things happening! Iggy and I have made huge leaps forward this year in terms of balance for both of us. I am finding ways to stay softer in my hands and more supportive of his straightness that has really helped. Iggy has really gained so much strength in his canter and feels like a totally different horse. We still get changes behind, but it's no longer the defining point of the ride. We switch back and carry-on just fine. Iggy has attended 3 horseshows, and he has been wonderful. He has gotten progressively braver at each show in the warm-up, and I think he actually understands the drill now. He gets a bit excited and "takes over" a bit, but it's a great feeling to have a horse that wants to go! Although I am most thrilled about the huge boost in his confidence, his performance has been great too. He has won all of his classes, with only one score o