Skip to main content

September Clinic, WPDA Adult Clinic, and Devon

I have fallen into the bad habit of not updating this blog, but I think it's been because things have been going relatively well (touch wood).

September was a wonderfully horsey month for me. I rode with Ryan the second weekend of the month and had very good rides on both horses. Gadget felt stiff but actually gave me some very good work. I had a breakthrough ride on Iggy just before arriving at the clinic, so I was able to confirm that we were still on the right path. I realize that by riding Iggy's canter more forward, he will stay more balanced and less likely to lose his lead or swap leads. It is completely common sense, but I think it took a bit of bravery on my part and strength on Iggy's part to figure this out.

At the Ryan clinic, we positioned Iggy with a bit of flexion and bend to the right going both directions. He is weak on that side, so tends to drift or lean that way. This positioning makes him stand up on that shoulder and helps me keep him straighter. We did some baby leg yields and then asking for small and bigger trot to teach him to start pushing from those hind legs. He was pooped on the second day, but he worked very willingly and quietly. I am so proud of him!

The next weekend, I took Gadget to the WPDA Adult Clinic. It was a great time! The clinic is structured to have two lessons per day on Friday and Saturday with an evening lecture each day and one lesson on Sunday. On Friday, I learned to isolate my outside aids from my inside aids until the horse is soft and gummy. So inside leg, inside hand until he is nice and swinging then switch to outside leg, outside hand. This actually worked quite well with Gadget and I have incorporated it into our daily warmup. Gadget felt very loose and supple, which made it easy to add the power back into the mix. On Saturday and Sunday, among other things we worked on half steps. It was so neat! One thing that really stuck out to me was that I was looking for the rhythm to be too quick. The trainer stated that I should think of how the canter pirouettes have a slower rhythm when the horse takes the weight between each steps of turning. This really helped. I wish I had these sessions on video, but I think we achieved some good steps.

The last weekend of September, I attended Dressage at Devon to shop an spectate with a friend. It was wonderful! The weather was surprisingly nice and Devon is such an amazing show with its electric atmosphere and expansive shopping. I really wanted to find Iggy a leather halter and have a name plate put on, and I found the perfect one. It is black with brown padding and looks just beautiful on him. I also bought some back on track items for 50% off. The sheet is much too big for Iggy, but I'm working on a way to make it fit. and I bought a couple new riding tops from Arista and a pretty lightweight Pikeur windbreaker.

I also feel in love with a snaffle bridle by MacRider. The crown piece was so soft. It's black lined with brown (I guess I really like that trend), and I'm not sure I could have resisted had they had one in horse size.

Since I've been back in the daily routine again, Iggy feel like he is getting stronger and more adjustable. He still has bobbles in the canter, but less frequently. I'm hoping this will continue to improve with time. Gadget is doing great. He has been giving me great changes and his canter halfpasses are feeling so much better.  I'm excited to show Ryan our progress and get our next set of home work!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

New Near, New Goals - 2019!

NEW YEAR, NEW GOALS! I usually love reviewing my goals, progress and dreaming up new goals for the coming year, but this year was a tough one with the loss of my dear Gadget. I read a great set of articles on the Chronicle of the Horse by Matt Brown about how to shift your thinking about goal-setting. He makes the argument against fixed, outcome goals and to instead set more of "growth mindset," process-oriented goals.  And here's a link to the first article:  http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/a-case-for-not-focusing-on-your-goals-part-1  They are totally worth reading. I think dressage requires a strong focus on the "process" and I've always enjoyed thinking about the little things that build to success. However, I will totally admit to being outcome goal driven. I love setting specific score goals and even the goal of mastering a movement. Just as Gadget taught me lots of humility and patience, Iggy is going to drive those lessons home in a who

August 2019 update!

I have really put this poor little blog on the back burner this year, but there's actually been lots of great things happening! Iggy and I have made huge leaps forward this year in terms of balance for both of us. I am finding ways to stay softer in my hands and more supportive of his straightness that has really helped. Iggy has really gained so much strength in his canter and feels like a totally different horse. We still get changes behind, but it's no longer the defining point of the ride. We switch back and carry-on just fine. Iggy has attended 3 horseshows, and he has been wonderful. He has gotten progressively braver at each show in the warm-up, and I think he actually understands the drill now. He gets a bit excited and "takes over" a bit, but it's a great feeling to have a horse that wants to go! Although I am most thrilled about the huge boost in his confidence, his performance has been great too. He has won all of his classes, with only one score o