Skip to main content

Mission Dream Horse - Day 2: "All the Pretty Horses"

So day two, Wednesday started with breakfast at the hotel (delicious croissant, fresh chopped fruit, eggs and coffee). We then traveled with the agent we are working with and set off to the barn first.

Barn 1:

We arrived to see a horse That arrived at this barn only five days previously. It was a 6 year old bay gelding. He had a very attractive type. We watched him be ridden and then it was my time to try him. He has suspension in his gaits, which makes them feel bigger than anything I am used to riding. He had a very solid feel in the hand and was very honest to ride. Despite bouncing away on him, he was excellent. Ryan then rode and got him to do a green, clean change each direction. He played with seeing what he would do if compressed in baby collection, and his hind end stayed very nice and active. Great first horse.

Horse 2 was a beautiful three year old chestnut only two months under saddle. I loved his look - definitely my type. He had ridden in the indoor first, then outside (for the third time ever). He was very good for being so green. He has a lot of movement and is a very high quality youngster. I tried him in the indoor arena (very small, perhaps enough to do a circle 20M), at the trot only. He was very honest to the touch, but wiggly as one would expect from a baby.

Both of these fit into the exact description of what I want.

By the time we finished the first barn, it was around noon and we stopped for lunch. Lunch is a stop at a gas station where you can order a sandwich that's similar to a Quizno's. It was good crunchy bread, and I had ham, cheese, arugula, and mustard. It hit the spot.

Barn 2:

We traveled to the next barn and I tried a 7 year old gelding. He was plainer, but he was effortless to ride. He was a pleasure horse and is just starting in dressage, so he is not as schooled. However, he is very willing, so the training will come quickly. Sitting his trot was similar to sitting Gadget's - very easy. He seemed to collect easily and we were able to test his reaction to the whip in tapping him up a bit. He responded by getting more active and uphill. He was not as tall and I worried that I looked too big (Although he is still probably taller than Gadget). He was a gorgeous liver chestnut and he sparkled in the sun. This barn had a lovely indoor but also this creative way for storing these massive bales of hay:






Barn 3:

At the third barn, we saw a 6 year old by Uphill. He was black and incredibly elastic. Unfortunately, he developed the habit of really rooting against the reins and / or dropping way behind the contact. Ryan rode him and we all agreed he was not a good fit, despite being beautiful type.

After this horse, we made a visit to a tack store. It was two stories and we had a lot of fun shopping. For some reason, they did not have many tall size breeches, but I managed to find two pairs of pikeurs in my size and both were 50% off - yay! I also bought a matching pikeur blouse and pair of white gloves - both 50% off. We all left with bags from this shop.

Barn 4:

At the fourth barn, we saw two unstarted three year olds. Both were quite fancy in different ways. The first one had knee and hock action That Made Him look like he barely touched the ground. We were all awe-struck. It was fun to see this amazing raw talent. I have a feeling he will be making a trip to the US, but not with me.

Barn 5:

We ended the day at a barn to see a 9 year old mare working PSG level. This horse was older than what I was looking for (3-6 years old), and she had a cosmetic issue on a hind foot. I left my boots in the car without the intention of riding her. However, Ryan said I might want to sit on her. After watching the trainer and Ryan put her through her paces, including some impressive passage and very collected canter, I was happy to ride her. My ride was incredible. She was so powerful and truly feeling like a pot ready to boil over without ever doing so. A horse in a field next to the arena was blowing off steam by galloping as fast as he could around the field. The mare kept an eye on him, but never put a foot wrong and worked through the entire episode. She has a very good brain. I could not help but smile and laugh when in the passage trot. It was amazing. I rose the whole ride with no spurs and no whip, and she was pure power the whole time. As Ryan said, there's a GP horse mare in there, it made me re-evaluate exactly what I want in a horse. Do I want a young horse to bring along while enjoying the journey? Or do I want something that's knocking on the door to GP that can teach me all of the feel and finesse of collection that my dear Gadget just can not do? I really did not want two horses at the same level at the same time, even if they feel completely different. But the idea of ​​a horse that has it all at your fingertips in the price range was tempting. 

I got in the car feeling satisfied and confused. It was a great day to find so many horses that I liked, but it also made me question what I really want. Ryan assured me the week is not over and it will all make sense by the end of the week.

We discussed each horse over dinner (at a delicious Greek place), and decided to try the first six year old again tomorrow. We will see more three year olds and a six year old. I can not wait!

Loved how the babies were kept in large stalls and could reach out for their hay:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

New Near, New Goals - 2019!

NEW YEAR, NEW GOALS! I usually love reviewing my goals, progress and dreaming up new goals for the coming year, but this year was a tough one with the loss of my dear Gadget. I read a great set of articles on the Chronicle of the Horse by Matt Brown about how to shift your thinking about goal-setting. He makes the argument against fixed, outcome goals and to instead set more of "growth mindset," process-oriented goals.  And here's a link to the first article:  http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/a-case-for-not-focusing-on-your-goals-part-1  They are totally worth reading. I think dressage requires a strong focus on the "process" and I've always enjoyed thinking about the little things that build to success. However, I will totally admit to being outcome goal driven. I love setting specific score goals and even the goal of mastering a movement. Just as Gadget taught me lots of humility and patience, Iggy is going to drive those lessons home in a who

August 2019 update!

I have really put this poor little blog on the back burner this year, but there's actually been lots of great things happening! Iggy and I have made huge leaps forward this year in terms of balance for both of us. I am finding ways to stay softer in my hands and more supportive of his straightness that has really helped. Iggy has really gained so much strength in his canter and feels like a totally different horse. We still get changes behind, but it's no longer the defining point of the ride. We switch back and carry-on just fine. Iggy has attended 3 horseshows, and he has been wonderful. He has gotten progressively braver at each show in the warm-up, and I think he actually understands the drill now. He gets a bit excited and "takes over" a bit, but it's a great feeling to have a horse that wants to go! Although I am most thrilled about the huge boost in his confidence, his performance has been great too. He has won all of his classes, with only one score o