Skip to main content

Gifted Scholarship -- Lessons 4-5 -- When Not Everything Goes as Planned

Lesson 4 --  When a Difficult Lesson is the Lesson you Need

Gadget spent two weeks with Kristin riding him and she said she was so happy with his attitude to come out and give it his best every day. Even work that is hard for him, he would absolutely throw his heart into it. It feels great to work with a trainer that appreciates that quality in him and knows not to ask too much of him because of it.

POSITION -- RIGHT SHOULDER BACK

After 10 minutes walking, we warmed up in a forward rising trot. Right away Kristin made me accountable for my position. I twist to the left, so she really had me focus on taking my right shoulder back and loosening the left to come forward a bit. I also kept my reins short with my hands in front of my body (but not up) and staying on the front of my seat. After the loosening work, we decided to revisit the shoulder-in and half-pass. As Kristin said, once I learn to control the shoulders and keep myself and Gadget straight, the pirouettes, the halfpasses, and the tempi changes will all become easier.



I really struggled in this lesson, as I feel like I have had this lesson so many times, but my body sometimes just won't cooperate. It was the reminder and kick in the butt I needed during this lesson. We focused on getting a bend through the body in shoulder-in, then turning down centerline to halfpass back to the rail. To the left, I let him disconnect, let his haunches majorly trail, and let the trot lose its cadence. I could feel that it was wrong, but my body wasn't cooperating to make it right. To the right, I need to allow my body to turn more to the right, bend him around my knee/calf, and just keep the tempo. Easier said than done. It was definitely difficult mentally for me in this lesson as I kept thinking, "I know how to do this! Why am I riding like crap??"

HALFPASS -- BEND AROUND THE KNEE/CALF and LIFT TOWARD THE MOVEMENT

After a few failed attempts, Kristin quickly put me back into rising trot, which immediately resulted in a better connection. We then rode a few steps halfpass left to legyield right. The legyield showed me how I had his shoulders in the wrong position. Working through the issues in the legyield showed me that I need to get Gadget to bend around my knee and calf (not my spur) and thinking of lifting my body and seatbone on the left to allow Gadget to step under. Kristin told me to imagine I am the upper level rider, which automatically adjusted my shoulders back and head and chest up. In halfpass, trainers often say to sit in the direction of the movement, but Kristin told me to lift my body in the direction of the movement. So I deepened my knee on the right leg that pushed the haunches, which allowed the inside seat bone to lift. I then had some lovely halfpasses. We then walked, talked about it, and quit on the good note. I went back to my hotel and really thought about my lesson. The luxury of this experience is to truly immerse yourself in dressage without the outside distractions. I was determined to ride better in my lesson the next day.

Lesson 5 -- HALFPASS AGAIN -- Trot and Canter

In clinics, I tend to ride better the second day after having time to process all of the new info, and this felt like that scenario since I majorly felt disappointed in my riding the day before.

In the warm-up, I was really feeling the right shoulder and keeping it back, keeping my chest up, and riding with short reins and arms in front. Although I am fit, this takes work for me. After this lesson, I was sore all over from maintaining this position. And my right seat bone was majorly sore. I sit so unevenly that when I am balanced, I am sore. The mirrors were critical in helping me realize that when I feel like I am too far to the right, I am actually straight. 

Right after our warm-up, we moved right into the halfpass work. This time to the left, I really rode with my inside leg asking for bend first, then bringing the haunches strongly. Kristin made me look over my shoulder to check the position of the haunches, so I'll have a frame of reference when I am at home without mirrors. It's a delicate balance to keep the bend, the haunches, and the connection. It really helped to think of letting Gadget step up and under my left seat bone and letting my right seat bone lower and sink into the right thigh.

The key for me and the halfpass is to keep my right shoulder back. That means to the right, I actually turn my body to the right and really look that direction and making sure to soften that left rein. It's amazing how he floats so powerfully over when I get it right. It is the most incredible feeling! Kristin was so excited when I got it right, which made these tough lessons so fun at the same time. To the left, I really keep my right shoulder back, soften that left rein and taking the haunches strongly and it all comes together. 

We did the same in the canter, but the focus is really getting the correct canter before the halfpass. The canter needs to have the same buoyancy as a horse that is taking you to a jump, forward, uphill and active.  Kristin reminds me that Gadget's left front likes to stay grounded too long, and that is typically what is happening when his front end feels heavier/slower than the front end. For that, I cluck and give mini upward halfhalts. Sometimes, we just need to go forward to really re-establish his engine and then re-collect. If I have the right canter, the halfpasses in canter (combined with my correctly positioned shoulder!) are amazing! I have had a mental hangup with these movements, so to feel them be so effortless was so thrilling! It was also a relief after my bad ride the day before. I could take a deep breath and feel like I actually can ride these movements.

Overall, excellent weekend and just the kick in the butt I needed.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

New Near, New Goals - 2019!

NEW YEAR, NEW GOALS! I usually love reviewing my goals, progress and dreaming up new goals for the coming year, but this year was a tough one with the loss of my dear Gadget. I read a great set of articles on the Chronicle of the Horse by Matt Brown about how to shift your thinking about goal-setting. He makes the argument against fixed, outcome goals and to instead set more of "growth mindset," process-oriented goals.  And here's a link to the first article:  http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/a-case-for-not-focusing-on-your-goals-part-1  They are totally worth reading. I think dressage requires a strong focus on the "process" and I've always enjoyed thinking about the little things that build to success. However, I will totally admit to being outcome goal driven. I love setting specific score goals and even the goal of mastering a movement. Just as Gadget taught me lots of humility and patience, Iggy is going to drive those lessons home in a who

August 2019 update!

I have really put this poor little blog on the back burner this year, but there's actually been lots of great things happening! Iggy and I have made huge leaps forward this year in terms of balance for both of us. I am finding ways to stay softer in my hands and more supportive of his straightness that has really helped. Iggy has really gained so much strength in his canter and feels like a totally different horse. We still get changes behind, but it's no longer the defining point of the ride. We switch back and carry-on just fine. Iggy has attended 3 horseshows, and he has been wonderful. He has gotten progressively braver at each show in the warm-up, and I think he actually understands the drill now. He gets a bit excited and "takes over" a bit, but it's a great feeling to have a horse that wants to go! Although I am most thrilled about the huge boost in his confidence, his performance has been great too. He has won all of his classes, with only one score o