Skip to main content

Kenny Borden Clinic -- December 2015

A month after working with Michael, I had a clinic with Kenny -- my first since riding with him in May. As usual, Kenny has a way of getting the best out of me and Gadget.

In a weekend crammed with holiday parties, I was determined to make this clinic. So Gadget and I loaded up in the early hours of the morning and hauled to Timber Ridge for a 9:30 lesson. It was 65 degrees at 9:30 -- absolutely gorgeous! We rode outside and Gadget started out lethargic. However, he revved up after doing some gear changes. This included working on extended trot, which turned out amazing.

EXTENDED TROT

On the longside and diagonal, I would ask for some lengthened steps, then leg yield either way a few steps, then lengthen again. The first few attempts looked fairly average. But once Gadget understood the exercise, he started really using his whole body and really getting some suspension in the trot. They were the best extended trots I've ever had! 

Kenny also reminded me to keep my seat as quiet as possible. This goes back to my comments from a judge from the Mid-Ohio show. When I really plugged in my seat, but staying snug through my things, it quieted my seat, belly, and elbows. I grew taller and actually sat the trot. It takes strength, and I am working to ride more like this all of the time.

TEMPI CHANGES

We worked on some single changes all over the ring and Gadget was feeling a bit frisky in the changes. The slightest push with the leg and he offered changes. So we worked through some counter canter and got him thinking to wait a bit. After this was successful, we worked on some lines of 4s. Gadget would give me 4, 4, 3. This was consistent. Kenny finally told me my leg was moving too early. I didn't really think anything of it. We changed direction, and the same thing happened. Finally, Kenny started counting out loud and it turns out that I really was moving my leg after the third change and before the fourth. After the verbal cuing, I gave the aid at the correct time and got my line of 4s! Yay! Still lots of work to do in these changes, but they are starting to come together.



PIROUETTES

 And the most exciting news is that we schooled true quarter and half pirouettes!! We schooled walk pirouettes, keeping them quick, with the haunches controlled. We schooled the quarter pirouettes as they are set up in the 4-2 test with a quarter pirouette in a "v" shape from diagonal to diagonal. Kenny had me think about the outside rein to keep Gadget's neck softer. If it took a moment of counter-flexing to get the softness, that was fine.

We moved on to schooling on the diagonal, by schooling a pirouette to turn down centerline -- not quite a half pirouette. On the second day, we actually schooled the half pirouette, and I was pleased to hear the Kenny said Gadget shortens his stride well, so now it is keeping him jumping through the pirouette. Since they are so green, I am to keep them big. He need to know they must stay active. 

To the left, Gadget shortens very well, but does not turn well. I need to open the inside rein, and push him over. He must learn to turn.  To the right, he turns much better. I must not hold too much on the left rein, and must lift on the inside right rein to keep him up and bring him around. This was so much fun! And so exciting to finally get a feel for these!



Kenny said that we should make it a goal to ride a PSG by the end of the season!!! SQUEE!!! He said that out changes are looking much better, and that he thinks we will like the PSG more than 4-3. He also said we may be doing 4th and PSG at the same time. I'm not really sure what that will look like, but I can't wait to find out!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

New Near, New Goals - 2019!

NEW YEAR, NEW GOALS! I usually love reviewing my goals, progress and dreaming up new goals for the coming year, but this year was a tough one with the loss of my dear Gadget. I read a great set of articles on the Chronicle of the Horse by Matt Brown about how to shift your thinking about goal-setting. He makes the argument against fixed, outcome goals and to instead set more of "growth mindset," process-oriented goals.  And here's a link to the first article:  http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/a-case-for-not-focusing-on-your-goals-part-1  They are totally worth reading. I think dressage requires a strong focus on the "process" and I've always enjoyed thinking about the little things that build to success. However, I will totally admit to being outcome goal driven. I love setting specific score goals and even the goal of mastering a movement. Just as Gadget taught me lots of humility and patience, Iggy is going to drive those lessons home in a who

August 2019 update!

I have really put this poor little blog on the back burner this year, but there's actually been lots of great things happening! Iggy and I have made huge leaps forward this year in terms of balance for both of us. I am finding ways to stay softer in my hands and more supportive of his straightness that has really helped. Iggy has really gained so much strength in his canter and feels like a totally different horse. We still get changes behind, but it's no longer the defining point of the ride. We switch back and carry-on just fine. Iggy has attended 3 horseshows, and he has been wonderful. He has gotten progressively braver at each show in the warm-up, and I think he actually understands the drill now. He gets a bit excited and "takes over" a bit, but it's a great feeling to have a horse that wants to go! Although I am most thrilled about the huge boost in his confidence, his performance has been great too. He has won all of his classes, with only one score o