Skip to main content

Ryan Clinic -- June 2015 -- Mission: Fix my halfpasses

So I was able to share my good show news with Ryan at this clinic -- I got a 71%!!! He was very happy for me, but I told him that the judges hated my halfpasses. I rode them terribly and I need major help before the next show. With that goal in mind, we went to work. Gadget felt very balanced at this clinic and happy in the contact. The biggest thing to remember is to really make Gadget jump up in the canter without just running. I need to really hear the 3 beats and pause for suspension in the canter.

Back to the halfpasses -- I had been letting the haunches trail in the left halfpasses. Ryan had me think of starting the halfpass in shoulder fore, but then keeping the shoulders to the right a bit and really asking the haunches to come left. Then, finish the halpasses in a little renver or haunches in. Essentially, at the end of the halfpass, let the halfpasses lead, then right straight in shoulder in. I rode the halfpasses like crap in the clinic (I'm not good at processing how to use my body during clinics), but it really came together at home.

He also had me do lots of forward and back in the trot -- only a few steps of each to try to get more suspension and bounce in Gadget's stride. 

It was a wonderful clinic. I learned so much and I have had even more success at home applying these principles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

2014 - New Year, New Goals

This past year was a great year for me and Gadget. Although we had our ups and downs, I've learned a lot this year. We made our third level debut, earned our bronze medal in only two shows, improved the flying changes dramatically, and earned Champion for Adult Amateurs at third level in my GMO.  For 2014, I have several goals: Keep Gadget's back feeling good. I think I have found a good combo of chiro, shoeing, saddle fit, and vet maintenance to prevent him from getting sore rather than waiting until he's in pain. Hopefully it works this year. Continue improving Third Leve l. Last year was a great intro to third level, but I am finally learning to ride Gadget more uphill, which is improving everything. This year I want to try 3-2 and 3-3. The canter-halfpass is still tough for us, but it's looking better. I am going to work to fix things that are easy points -- halts, turn on the haunches, transitions, and good centerlines. I am going to focus on the quality o...

Michael Bragdell Clinic

So I have been having an amazing summer of lessons with Ryan Yap. He really helped me feel how to collect and energize the canter, which has been the biggest challenge. He also made huge improvements in my halfpasses and helped develop more suspension in Gadget's trot. Writing these things make it sound easy, but it has taken years to get to a point where Ryan could work on these things with us. As he said, we were finally ready. So when Ryan's clinic date changed to one that conflicted with the Michael Bragdell clinic, I was so disappointed. It would have been awesome to have back-to-back weekends of clinics with those two. But I will have to wait until the spring to work with Ryan again.  As for the Michael Bragdell clinic, it was really quite amazing. I typically don't have the highest hopes for lessons when someone is seeing me and Gadget for the first time. We have lots of little issues going on and it sometimes takes a little time figure out the right way to a...