Skip to main content

August 2014 Update

Well, Gadget is back in the game. We have been back in full work for several weeks and he feels really good. I think the focus on my position during those first slow conditioning weeks has also paid off for me. I am really focusing on keeping my hand position - hands in front, following, thumbs up, half halt without pulling back. It feels like I basically tell Gadget with my hands to carry his own head and stay soft. As long as he does that, I have a very soft, light contact. When he tries to start poking his nose or lean on the bit, I give a little leg and a squeeze of the rein. I have also been riding exclusively in a simple KK ultra snaffle to make these adjustments. No double bridle right now, although I couldn't help but add an old but favorite picture of Gadget in his double bridle below. I plan to move him back into the double next week before my upcoming clinics.

Gadget in 2013 
The trot really is becoming nice if I remember to hug with my legs to get power from behind. Then he lifts in the trot and carries himself completely differently - more like a dressage horse. I can be soft and lightly support with the reins.

The changes are probably the biggest improvement right now. I have been conditioning Gadget in a large hay field. I really think the varied terrain is helping him get stronger. The dressage ring has not been drug in weeks, so it really is the best riding area I have available. There is a (barbed wire) fenceline in the field that is nearly completely flat. The field was recently hayed, so we have been schooling our changes along the fence line. He is a bit more "up" schooling in the field, and I can ask for lots of changes along that long fenceline. I really have to remember to not lift myself out of the saddle during the changes - this is improved when I actually look up. Also, I have actually been remembering to ask for the change and immediately slide my leg back and ask again if I don't the change immediately. Gadget understands this correction and responds so much better than using the whip. He really gets offended if I tap with the whip to get the change, which leads to kicking out at the whip and an overall loss of balance. I have a feeling that we might soon be able to actually control which stride I get the change and maybe start working on counting toward tempis.

I have decided that there is no point in trying to rush out to a show this season. My ultimate goal is to move him up to fourth level next year, so I am trying to get as much training in as possible and use my excellent trainers to get me there.

The pirouettes and the steeper canter halfpass are my biggest concerns at fourth level. The canter halfpass is still a challenge for me. I feel like I know how to ride it now, so I just need to work on it until it becomes easier for me and Gadget to keep the bend and the hindquarters actively stepping sideways. I am trying to school Gadget in a smaller canter in prep for the pirouettes, and it actually feels better with my new hand position of merely supporting when needed. Gadget's canter is tricky to say the least, so this is not going to be an easy task. But gosh does it feel good to be riding again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

2014 - New Year, New Goals

This past year was a great year for me and Gadget. Although we had our ups and downs, I've learned a lot this year. We made our third level debut, earned our bronze medal in only two shows, improved the flying changes dramatically, and earned Champion for Adult Amateurs at third level in my GMO.  For 2014, I have several goals: Keep Gadget's back feeling good. I think I have found a good combo of chiro, shoeing, saddle fit, and vet maintenance to prevent him from getting sore rather than waiting until he's in pain. Hopefully it works this year. Continue improving Third Leve l. Last year was a great intro to third level, but I am finally learning to ride Gadget more uphill, which is improving everything. This year I want to try 3-2 and 3-3. The canter-halfpass is still tough for us, but it's looking better. I am going to work to fix things that are easy points -- halts, turn on the haunches, transitions, and good centerlines. I am going to focus on the quality o...

Michael Bragdell Clinic

So I have been having an amazing summer of lessons with Ryan Yap. He really helped me feel how to collect and energize the canter, which has been the biggest challenge. He also made huge improvements in my halfpasses and helped develop more suspension in Gadget's trot. Writing these things make it sound easy, but it has taken years to get to a point where Ryan could work on these things with us. As he said, we were finally ready. So when Ryan's clinic date changed to one that conflicted with the Michael Bragdell clinic, I was so disappointed. It would have been awesome to have back-to-back weekends of clinics with those two. But I will have to wait until the spring to work with Ryan again.  As for the Michael Bragdell clinic, it was really quite amazing. I typically don't have the highest hopes for lessons when someone is seeing me and Gadget for the first time. We have lots of little issues going on and it sometimes takes a little time figure out the right way to a...