Skip to main content

February clinic with Kenny

It's been one heck of winter with lots of snow and frigid temperatures. The horses were not turned out for weeks, so I tried to make a point to keep Gadget working so he would not go completely stir crazy. We really had some breakthroughs! I think I am finally finding the way to ride him uphill in light contact while still keeping an active seat. The trot and canter quality has much improved.

Yesterday after my ride with Kenny he said it was the best he has ever seen Gadget go. It made my heart sing to hear that! The video confirms that Gadget is looking more elastic and generally happier. He worked so hard yesterday! It was so much fun!

We worked on medium trot and canter:

In the canter, cut the corner by a step and leg yield him that last step on the rail, then start the medium. To bring him back, tap him lightly on hindquarters. Reacts well to this by becoming very active.

In the trot, train the medium from quarter line to quarter line on the diagonal. When you turn on to diagonal, wrap your legs around him and harness the energy, then tell him to go at the quarter line. To bring him back, think of wrapping legs again and collecting him up while thinking of passage (slow). 

Continuing to work to quiet my hands. My right hand and arm are still pulling and are not steady enough. For now, I am simply releasing forward, but I need to teach that side to be soft and steady.

On the second day of the clinic, Gadget lost his spark. He was still wonderful and I would have been overjoyed with this quality of work not long ago, but he had some muscle stiffness today that we had to work through. He also added in little random bucks when cantering right and bucked into right change. I need to keep an eye on this. I noticed a small girth rub today, so that May have been part of the discomfort.

Today, we loosened the canter. Kenny had me use my counter flexion at canter on a circle while putting him rounder-- really effective. Gadget loves his medium canter on a circle so we did some of that. We also worked on the canter halfpass from quarter line to centerline to change. It looked and felt so much better! Kenny remarked that I am no longer working so hard to get the halfpass and he's right! Yay! It had rhythm and sideways. Woohoo! Need to add in more bend. To the right, ride true diagonal before taking OUTSIDE rein to move him more sideways. He bends easily this direction. To the left, ride diagonal, take outside rein to step over, then get bend with inside left rein and circle to left while really supplying with left hand and leg. Do a couple more steps, then another circle, then more forward to the change. If he's over reactive in the changes, think of changing from your seat alone. This worked today since he was really anticipating.

In sum, two really lovely rides. The clinic atmosphere was also so nice. I've made new friends and really enjoy hanging out with this group of great ladies. 

 Third level test 2 and 3 seem within our reach this season!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

2014 - New Year, New Goals

This past year was a great year for me and Gadget. Although we had our ups and downs, I've learned a lot this year. We made our third level debut, earned our bronze medal in only two shows, improved the flying changes dramatically, and earned Champion for Adult Amateurs at third level in my GMO.  For 2014, I have several goals: Keep Gadget's back feeling good. I think I have found a good combo of chiro, shoeing, saddle fit, and vet maintenance to prevent him from getting sore rather than waiting until he's in pain. Hopefully it works this year. Continue improving Third Leve l. Last year was a great intro to third level, but I am finally learning to ride Gadget more uphill, which is improving everything. This year I want to try 3-2 and 3-3. The canter-halfpass is still tough for us, but it's looking better. I am going to work to fix things that are easy points -- halts, turn on the haunches, transitions, and good centerlines. I am going to focus on the quality o...

Michael Bragdell Clinic

So I have been having an amazing summer of lessons with Ryan Yap. He really helped me feel how to collect and energize the canter, which has been the biggest challenge. He also made huge improvements in my halfpasses and helped develop more suspension in Gadget's trot. Writing these things make it sound easy, but it has taken years to get to a point where Ryan could work on these things with us. As he said, we were finally ready. So when Ryan's clinic date changed to one that conflicted with the Michael Bragdell clinic, I was so disappointed. It would have been awesome to have back-to-back weekends of clinics with those two. But I will have to wait until the spring to work with Ryan again.  As for the Michael Bragdell clinic, it was really quite amazing. I typically don't have the highest hopes for lessons when someone is seeing me and Gadget for the first time. We have lots of little issues going on and it sometimes takes a little time figure out the right way to a...