Skip to main content

February clinic with Kenny

It's been one heck of winter with lots of snow and frigid temperatures. The horses were not turned out for weeks, so I tried to make a point to keep Gadget working so he would not go completely stir crazy. We really had some breakthroughs! I think I am finally finding the way to ride him uphill in light contact while still keeping an active seat. The trot and canter quality has much improved.

Yesterday after my ride with Kenny he said it was the best he has ever seen Gadget go. It made my heart sing to hear that! The video confirms that Gadget is looking more elastic and generally happier. He worked so hard yesterday! It was so much fun!

We worked on medium trot and canter:

In the canter, cut the corner by a step and leg yield him that last step on the rail, then start the medium. To bring him back, tap him lightly on hindquarters. Reacts well to this by becoming very active.

In the trot, train the medium from quarter line to quarter line on the diagonal. When you turn on to diagonal, wrap your legs around him and harness the energy, then tell him to go at the quarter line. To bring him back, think of wrapping legs again and collecting him up while thinking of passage (slow). 

Continuing to work to quiet my hands. My right hand and arm are still pulling and are not steady enough. For now, I am simply releasing forward, but I need to teach that side to be soft and steady.

On the second day of the clinic, Gadget lost his spark. He was still wonderful and I would have been overjoyed with this quality of work not long ago, but he had some muscle stiffness today that we had to work through. He also added in little random bucks when cantering right and bucked into right change. I need to keep an eye on this. I noticed a small girth rub today, so that May have been part of the discomfort.

Today, we loosened the canter. Kenny had me use my counter flexion at canter on a circle while putting him rounder-- really effective. Gadget loves his medium canter on a circle so we did some of that. We also worked on the canter halfpass from quarter line to centerline to change. It looked and felt so much better! Kenny remarked that I am no longer working so hard to get the halfpass and he's right! Yay! It had rhythm and sideways. Woohoo! Need to add in more bend. To the right, ride true diagonal before taking OUTSIDE rein to move him more sideways. He bends easily this direction. To the left, ride diagonal, take outside rein to step over, then get bend with inside left rein and circle to left while really supplying with left hand and leg. Do a couple more steps, then another circle, then more forward to the change. If he's over reactive in the changes, think of changing from your seat alone. This worked today since he was really anticipating.

In sum, two really lovely rides. The clinic atmosphere was also so nice. I've made new friends and really enjoy hanging out with this group of great ladies. 

 Third level test 2 and 3 seem within our reach this season!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

New Near, New Goals - 2019!

NEW YEAR, NEW GOALS! I usually love reviewing my goals, progress and dreaming up new goals for the coming year, but this year was a tough one with the loss of my dear Gadget. I read a great set of articles on the Chronicle of the Horse by Matt Brown about how to shift your thinking about goal-setting. He makes the argument against fixed, outcome goals and to instead set more of "growth mindset," process-oriented goals.  And here's a link to the first article:  http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/a-case-for-not-focusing-on-your-goals-part-1  They are totally worth reading. I think dressage requires a strong focus on the "process" and I've always enjoyed thinking about the little things that build to success. However, I will totally admit to being outcome goal driven. I love setting specific score goals and even the goal of mastering a movement. Just as Gadget taught me lots of humility and patience, Iggy is going to drive those lessons home in a who

August 2019 update!

I have really put this poor little blog on the back burner this year, but there's actually been lots of great things happening! Iggy and I have made huge leaps forward this year in terms of balance for both of us. I am finding ways to stay softer in my hands and more supportive of his straightness that has really helped. Iggy has really gained so much strength in his canter and feels like a totally different horse. We still get changes behind, but it's no longer the defining point of the ride. We switch back and carry-on just fine. Iggy has attended 3 horseshows, and he has been wonderful. He has gotten progressively braver at each show in the warm-up, and I think he actually understands the drill now. He gets a bit excited and "takes over" a bit, but it's a great feeling to have a horse that wants to go! Although I am most thrilled about the huge boost in his confidence, his performance has been great too. He has won all of his classes, with only one score o