Skip to main content

July 2013 Ryan Yap Clinic

Gadget had his first chiropractic appointment on the Thursday before the clinic while I was out of town for work. The chiropractor is a vet and his findings were very accurate to what I and every trainer has identified as points of tension. The one extra finding was the tension in Gadget's face from an old fracture. The chiropractor said he believes that Gadget probably gets headaches. This absolutely broke my heart. He recommended massage for that area of his head, which I now do religiously every day. My poor baby.

Anyway, I rode the next day and had the most amazing ride. He felt soft and so steady in the contact. It was unreal. I can only think that the chiropractor must have made a great difference in how he felt.

On Saturday, I loaded up and headed to the Ryan Yap clinic without my sidekick, Hani. Of course when I don't have the best videographer in the world, I have the best rides in the world. I may be exaggerating slightly, but I definitely had a soft and happy horse and some great break through moments for me. Ryan really worked on the 10 meter canter circles with me and keeping him absolutely active in the canter. We did lots of transitions between smaller trot and bigger trot to get him him active in the trot. Ryan introduced 8 meter trot circles to us, and we will add those to our routine. After Gadget was working very well through his back, Ryan told me to think of making Gadget's trot bouncier after collecting him. By thinking of making it a bit bouncier, I was able to add more activity and looseness.

One of the biggest things that I learned was in the second lesson. Gadget was a bit stiff on the second day, but after bit of long and low work he felt great. We spent a good bit of time on the flying changes in this lesson and Ryan pointed out that Gadget is not quick enough in his changes. I have felt this and Kristin has also pointed this out, but I have never focused on this problem in a lesson. Ryan had me work on the quarterlines and ask for the change, then when I get no response, take leg off, and give the aid again. He also showed me how far back I am moving my leg to ask for the change. I need to keep my leg more under me and use a firmer aid (and use the spur) to ask for the change. By the point of the lesson that my brain finally understood the changes, horsey and I were too tired to really get the best result.

However, within days of going home and experimenting with the ask, leg off, ask again, I am getting amazing, quick changes. I am so impressed! I can't believe I didn't figure this out sooner.

At the end of my lesson, I also thanked Ryan for all of the guidance he has provided in bringing Gadget and me along. The progress is really amazing. I have been working with Ryan since May of 2011, and I feel like I have learned so much. (I also have a couple other wonderful trainers that have greatly contributed to my success in many ways, but I'll save those for another post. :))
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

New Near, New Goals - 2019!

NEW YEAR, NEW GOALS! I usually love reviewing my goals, progress and dreaming up new goals for the coming year, but this year was a tough one with the loss of my dear Gadget. I read a great set of articles on the Chronicle of the Horse by Matt Brown about how to shift your thinking about goal-setting. He makes the argument against fixed, outcome goals and to instead set more of "growth mindset," process-oriented goals.  And here's a link to the first article:  http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/a-case-for-not-focusing-on-your-goals-part-1  They are totally worth reading. I think dressage requires a strong focus on the "process" and I've always enjoyed thinking about the little things that build to success. However, I will totally admit to being outcome goal driven. I love setting specific score goals and even the goal of mastering a movement. Just as Gadget taught me lots of humility and patience, Iggy is going to drive those lessons home in a who

August 2019 update!

I have really put this poor little blog on the back burner this year, but there's actually been lots of great things happening! Iggy and I have made huge leaps forward this year in terms of balance for both of us. I am finding ways to stay softer in my hands and more supportive of his straightness that has really helped. Iggy has really gained so much strength in his canter and feels like a totally different horse. We still get changes behind, but it's no longer the defining point of the ride. We switch back and carry-on just fine. Iggy has attended 3 horseshows, and he has been wonderful. He has gotten progressively braver at each show in the warm-up, and I think he actually understands the drill now. He gets a bit excited and "takes over" a bit, but it's a great feeling to have a horse that wants to go! Although I am most thrilled about the huge boost in his confidence, his performance has been great too. He has won all of his classes, with only one score o