Skip to main content

We Won!!

Gadget and I made our official debut at third level at a recognized show on June 7-9 at the Grand Haven show. The weather was cold and rainy when we arrived on Thursday and stayed that way until Sunday. Despite the nasty weather, Gadget warmed up beautifully on Thursday evening in the indoor arena. All of my changes were clean, there were no changes in the counter canter, and Kristin gave us great advice to improve the shoulder-in and halfpass. I need to start schooling these with way more bend, then I can regulate it in the test.

On the first day of the show, I didn't get him through for my first test of second level test three. It didn't feel fluid or like we were on the same page. This is normal for our first test at every show. I have no idea how to fix it. We scored a 59.7 and placed 5th. About an hour later, I was set to ride third level test one. I was the very last ride of the day. Gadget felt tired in the warm-up, but I got his neck and back softer. The rings were quite sloppy, but Gadget didn't mind a bit.

As I circled the ring before entering for my first third level test, I smiled from ear to ear really pleased that we made it this far. I think Gadget felt the smile. He gave me such a lovely, cooperative test. There were bloopers (our lowest scores were our halts!), but overall I felt really good about our first attempt. However, I was completely shocked that we actually WON our very first test at third level with a 62.5! It made my entire weekend!

My scores crept downward through the weekend (58.5% and 55.5%) as a rode just one third level test a day. I was proud of myself that I didn't let those scores shake my confidence. I am still learning how to keep enough jump in the canter while still having control and keeping my super smart horsey from anticipating the turn on the haunches and reinbacks.

It was so neat that Hani was excited as I was about my success at third level. We had a lot of fun at the show, and I am looking forward to NODA in July. One more score until I get my Bronze Medal! Hani snapped gobs of pictures and I've included a bunch of my favorites.
 
 photo IMG_1142.jpg  photo IMG_1158.jpg  photo IMG_1192.jpg  photo IMG_1267.jpg  photo IMG_1582.jpg  photo IMG_1687-1.jpg  photo IMG_2295.jpg  photo IMG_2732.jpg  photo IMG_2744.jpg  photo IMG_2776.jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When old becomes new - update to my old Pikeur Diana!

Here is the finished product! It was a plain black jacket so I added white and light blue trim with RHINESTONES! It's very sparkly! Here's a closeup of the collar, which looks better than the pocket. Now I am going to try to add coordinating trim (minus the rhinestones) to the saddle pad.

2014 - New Year, New Goals

This past year was a great year for me and Gadget. Although we had our ups and downs, I've learned a lot this year. We made our third level debut, earned our bronze medal in only two shows, improved the flying changes dramatically, and earned Champion for Adult Amateurs at third level in my GMO.  For 2014, I have several goals: Keep Gadget's back feeling good. I think I have found a good combo of chiro, shoeing, saddle fit, and vet maintenance to prevent him from getting sore rather than waiting until he's in pain. Hopefully it works this year. Continue improving Third Leve l. Last year was a great intro to third level, but I am finally learning to ride Gadget more uphill, which is improving everything. This year I want to try 3-2 and 3-3. The canter-halfpass is still tough for us, but it's looking better. I am going to work to fix things that are easy points -- halts, turn on the haunches, transitions, and good centerlines. I am going to focus on the quality o...

Michael Bragdell Clinic

So I have been having an amazing summer of lessons with Ryan Yap. He really helped me feel how to collect and energize the canter, which has been the biggest challenge. He also made huge improvements in my halfpasses and helped develop more suspension in Gadget's trot. Writing these things make it sound easy, but it has taken years to get to a point where Ryan could work on these things with us. As he said, we were finally ready. So when Ryan's clinic date changed to one that conflicted with the Michael Bragdell clinic, I was so disappointed. It would have been awesome to have back-to-back weekends of clinics with those two. But I will have to wait until the spring to work with Ryan again.  As for the Michael Bragdell clinic, it was really quite amazing. I typically don't have the highest hopes for lessons when someone is seeing me and Gadget for the first time. We have lots of little issues going on and it sometimes takes a little time figure out the right way to a...